• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Florida Keys Boating?

Nick616

So we are looking to take a family vacation in Florida Keys over Christmas - with 3 in college and a HS senior its the only time of the year that we all are available at the same time!

As I was looking to rent a house/condo for the week came across several listings with dock space included - so had the wild idea of pulling our 253 Convincor from Michigan to use while there.

Towing should not be a problem - used to pull a 30' travel trailer to FL.

I am concerned with putting my fresh water boat into salt water - the trailer is probably more of a concern . . .

Is this a totally crazy idea? Or would it be a lot of fun, with a little work to clean up / rinse out the boat after the week and before the trip back to frozen Michigan? Or should I just rent something for a couple of days?

Comments / Suggestions welcome!

I say do it. I take my 24' pulsare twice a year to the keys. I just went two or so weeks ago. I like the Islamorade area and particularly the houses in Anglers Reef. The infamous Islamorada sandbar is in viewing site and they have a marina which is available. Don't forget to stop in Islamorada Beer Co. for some beers. PM me and can tell you where to go, eat etc. Also checkout Nautilimo for a sunset cruise (inexpensive and a blast cruising in a pink Cadillac on the water). I'll be back Dec. 16 th for another week.

I'm basically have the same idea as you. My siblings are 19,21 and 23 and they stated they much rather go to the Keys than Disney. I made this mistake by taking them about 5 years to the Key's and now wife and I can't go without them. Heck, this upcoming Christmas trip the oldest daughter wanted to pay for half of the rental to insure that we go. As the saying goes "there's no life like Key's life" !

If you don't bring your boat you will be kicking yourself every day you're there!!!! Pretreat you motor with a good drenching of Marine Formula CRC or Boeshield T9 spray. You can also spray your trailer/springs/shackles etc. Rinse your trailer with fresh water after dunking. You will absolutely love boating around the keys. There are so many places to go, see and snorkel. Make sure you get a good GPS/Map plotter to keep you safe.

If you don't bring your boat you will be kicking yourself every day you're there!!!! Pretreat you motor with a good drenching of Marine Formula CRC or Boeshield T9 spray. You can also spray your trailer/springs/shackles etc. Rinse your trailer with fresh water after dunking. You will absolutely love boating around the keys. There are so many places to go, see and snorkel. Make sure you get a good GPS/Map plotter to keep you safe.

I appreciate the encouragement to bring my boat - but - I will probably just rent something this year - I'm sure it won't be as fast or fun - may be more practical if we do some snorkeling.
I'm also really concerned with the "learning curve" of dealing with salt water - I would hate to miss something that will cause major issues down the road. . . .

Back