• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Glaze , Icing or what ?

Steve S

Hey Gang ,
Getting my Hydrostream ready for painting (just the top deck). I'm at the point of long board sanding . My question is , what material is used for filling scratches on boats ?
Enamel paint , fresh water only , trailed in and out each run .
Thanks in advance ,
Steve S

Like dave said. It depends on how deep they are. I've used filler primer and sanded out light scratches. Used body filler with a razor blade or scraper for a little deeper then sanded. On up to grinding them out and filling to just sanding them out to large feather edged area and primeing and sanding. so I guess it depends on how bad your talking. Oh and ummm donuts.....

Well , If you guys wanna come over and help long board sand this hull .
I'll supply the donuts :banana:
Bring your own coffee though ...

I did find out the proper material : 3m vynielester premium putty

Steve

These would work as well for what you're doing. www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6515&familyName=3M+Marine+Premium+Filler[/url]

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2693&familyName=3M+High+Strength+Repair+Filler[/url]

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6102&familyName=Bondo+Glass+Filler[/url]

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6103&familyName=Bondo-Hair+Long+Strand+Fiberglass+Body+Filler[/url]

Thought I'd share how the 3m was to work with . I mixed it with a putty knife for 30 seconds . It works with the feel of butter , very smooth . Sets up in around 4 minutes so work quickly . The product label states sandable in 30 minutes , it was like an hour for me . I was going a little lite with the activator .
Golf ball size filler to 1/2" strip of hardener . I used a pint container , cost around $40 bucks shipped .

Vixen%20002_zpsrgdn7rgi.jpg

I had glassed the dash in to move the steering to the center and update the gauges and switches style to more modern .
Sorry it's not a Checkmate
Steve S

Back