• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Going from Trailer to Blocks

ontherocks83

I need to eventually remove all the old bottom paint from my hull, then buff and wax it, and I need the boat off the trailer to do so. Does anyone have any good suggestions or tutorials on how to safely get the boat off the trailer and on to blocks? I know it is possible but the thought of doing this, scares the crap out of me and any tips / suggestions would be helpful. Thanks all:thumb:

I need to eventually remove all the old bottom paint from my hull, then buff and wax it, and I need the boat off the trailer to do so. Does anyone have any good suggestions or tutorials on how to safely get the boat off the trailer and on to blocks? I know it is possible but the thought of doing this, scares the crap out of me and any tips / suggestions would be helpful. Thanks all:thumb:

Lots for ways to do it, some better than others. Size and weight has a lot to do with it. I've do it a few ways, but I think the best way I've done it, is to use floor jack, and blocks
Jack up the back, then block it, add jacks on the sides so it can't tip. I have used 6x6s for this in the past, but jacks are better
.Move the floor jack fwd and lift the boat. Pull trailer fwd until cross member on trailer is going to hit jack, set boat down on blocks, and reposition jack. Jack it up again and pull trailer fwd., repeat until trailer is out
2 jacks will make this go faster.

Heres a pretty good video overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE8l7o-c8lY

I have done it many times without issue. The key is a good anchoring point for the back, unless you use the above method with multiple jacks. If it is a roller trailer, this will be easier.

First step, find something solid you can secure the back of the boat to (to prevent the boat from moving forward). Secure the boat to it with a suitable strap. Make sure it is good and tight so the boat can't move at all. Lower the front of the trailer as low as you can get it. Use 8" or 12" CMU block, stacked with the open core as it would be installed for a foundation, under each of the rear chines. Get as close to the boat as possible with the CMU and fill the balance of space with 2x, 1x, etc lumber until it is tight. Once you have it blocked solid to the boat, raise the front of the trailer to a tow vehicle. Slowly pull the trailer forward until the rear cross member is forward of midship. Repeat the mothod above with CMU and wood under the center of the boat. Once that is secure, pull the trailer out the rest of the way.

Slow and steady while moving the trailer out. A spotter will help to make sure nothing is moving while you pull the trailer out.

I did it a couple of times myself using the block & floor jack method to refinish my trailer. slow and steady :thumb:

Guess I'm lucky

image_zpszdpcx21c.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]. I was able to use my lift to pull my trailer. Doesn't change the fact of how nervous it made me to see my boat up in the air 4 feet.

i work with industrial lifting equipment, always seen the guys there lift thier boats with larger fork lifts. One guy hung his mastercraft by the bow/stern eyes to wheel the hull. Seemed a bit sketchy if you ask me.

Speaking on that, how would one paint the complete hull of a boat without flipping it over?

image_zpszdpcx21c.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]. I was able to use my lift to pull my trailer. Doesn't change the fact of how nervous it made me to see my boat up in the air 4 feet.

1st: that is awesome.:bigthumb: I work for a car dealer and I am going to see if my boss will let me do that over a weekend.

2nd: how did you fit the trailer in there?

My lift is extra wide so my trailer fits between it. I had to take all my spacers on arms out so my lift pads fit between the hull and trailer frame, then lift it above my fenders and pull it out. I dropped it back down on 3 blocks under the center to spread the weight. Take advantage of it sitting down to do any deckwork needed.

Sweet, thanks! I already got the go ahead from my boss and the shop foreman.

Now I just need to find a weekend where the wife and kids will parole me for both a Saturday and a Sunday to work on the boat.

Back