• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Help needed on my 2014 Pulsare BR

Sheri12

Hey Guys,
I bought a 2014 Pulsare BR with a 2014 300XS last year from Wildman. It was the red/black/and white one he had for a while. He set it up with his standard 12' set back plate and 5' jack plate. I am currently running a 28 Trophy Plus. Top end is OK around 80mph. My concern and question is if I put 4 people in the boat or if I try pulling my 10 year old skiing or even a tube I can barely get out of the water. I have the motor down as far as it will go. Its not blowing out. Its just a real dog getting out of the water. It totally sucks and frustrating having everyone get in the bow just to take off. Do you think its a prop issue or could there be something wrong with the engine? If its a prop issue what prop do you guys recommend. I would like an all around prop. I just don't want to spend $500 on a prop not knowing if it's going to work or not. Thanks for your help.

This is definitely a setup issue, so rest easy. It's a great boat and great engine with more than enough HP to do what you need it to do. The question you need to answer though is this: Do I want top end or low end grunt to load up and pull inflatables. Sadly, you don't get have both and please understand it's not a Checkmate issue or a Mercury issue...it's pretty much just the way it is in the boating world.

A lot of setback with a tall prop is not the ideal setup for towing. Your 28P is not the right prop for towing. When I towed inflatables behind my boats I used to use a 21P prop. It was adequate, but would let the boat fall of plane at low speeds and I found myself having to work the throttle too much. I then switched to a 19P High Five and the towing experience was night and day different. Hole shot for days. But the best thing was that the prop would let me stay on plane much easier at slower speeds due to the higher RPMs I was turning due to the lower pitch (even did this when fully loaded with fuel, kids, food, drinks, and dog.

So...my advice is to find yourself a 19P High Five. They're kind tough to find good ones used. I've bought and sold three good ones and immediately regretted doing so every time. You would think I would learn. I finally just ordered a new one this past week. You may experience porpoising with the change of prop while towing. Just bury the jackplate and tuck the trim all the way down. You can start fiddling from there with different jackplate heights.

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Thanks for the response. I figured it was a prop issue. Can I get the high 5 with the larger hub that will fit on the 300XS?

I used a 24P Trophy Plus on my 2100BR 300XS for watersports and it was the ticket.... popped out of the hole with a quickness for skiing or tubing with a boat full and still did high 70's on limiter. I did have to do some trial and error with PVS plugs though. Think I ended up with 2 plugged and 2 half plugs.

Good luck.

As said already, get a 23,24 or 25 pitch trophy plus and you will be happy. You don't need to get down into the 19-21 range with that hull and motor. You also probably don't need the motor all the way down on the jackplate either, once you have the right prop.

With a 23 pitch Trophy plus, watersports and passengers sitting in the back are not an issue. I have all the PVS holes plugged on the 23 pitch. I run the jackplate set about 3" below the pad most of the time with that prop while pulling stuff.

I am looking for a 25 pitch to have as an alround prop on mine.

As said already, get a 23,24 or 25 pitch trophy plus and you will be happy. You don't need to get down into the 19-21 range with that hull and motor. You also probably don't need the motor all the way down on the jackplate either, once you have the right prop.

With a 23 pitch Trophy plus, watersports and passengers sitting in the back are not an issue. I have all the PVS holes plugged on the 23 pitch. I run the jackplate set about 3" below the pad most of the time with that prop while pulling stuff.

I am looking for a 25 pitch to have as an alround prop on mine.

Yeah...NEED is a strong word on my part, but I would offer that with 4 people in the boat and/or a kid on a tube, the 19P would make life a lot easier...not to mention staying on plane. Unless the kid wants to tube at 60 mph. :) Then just by the kid a helmet. :thumb: I had kids on the tube for hours and hours this past weekend and we hung out at 22 MPH on the GPS all day...so if you can stay on plane at that speed or slightly higher, you should be good to go.

26P or 24P Bravo 1 XS or FS

Did you open the vents on your Trophy Plus? Or better question does your prop have the vent holes in it? Sorry guys I have never owned a Trophy Plus.
A 5 Blade would solve your problems but you still may be able to get similar results with Bravo 1 4 Blade.

Sam, I don't think you even said iNEED and I don't think any of your advise is wrong.

I was having the same issues with my boat and a 27 P Trophy plus, the 23 Trophy plus I got from you solved the problem.

A lower pitch high five would work very well too and certainly would be easier(less work) to throttle while pulling tubes on plane at low speed. But it sort of is the other end of the spectrum.

There was another question asked too, about fitting the prop and hubs.

Mercury props for quite a while now have an interchangeable hub allowing you to put nearly any Mercury prop on your motor. The key is the hubs are all different.

I like having a spare prop or two and a second hub kit at the lake or even in the boat with a prop wench. You do have to have the right hub kit, you need the 1 1/4" shaft kit, they are a lot pricier then the smaller shaft kits but they are all metal and last forever.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the responses. They are very helpful. I talked to a Scott today at Mercury Racing and he recommended a 26.5 Bravo 1 XS? That still seems a bit too big? Have any of you ever tried a Bravo 1 XS? I haven't heard of many using them.
Justin8

Sheri12, you're the one who has to determine if you're satisfied with the performance and that will most likely require a little trial and error. If you have a network, borrowing props is the least expensive way to figure out what you want. After that, the used prop market offers a lot of value. With that in mind, take a look at Bass BOat Central Props classifieds. You'll find a wide variety of props in the pitch range you're after. Play around with a few and you'll get that beauty dialed in soon.

Personally, I think 26.5 is still too high. If folks are having good luck with 24P props I'd go that route.

BUT, here's a link to a used 26.5 Bravo I XS. It's not perfect, but what the heck...close enough for gov't work?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=820278

Tell ya what, I'm a team player.... I'll come get the boat and get it dialed in over the winter on Lake Mead & Havasu. I'll even buy the prop!

BADBK
That would be great! I need all the help I can get. I did end up pulling the trigger today on a 24 FURY 4. Larger diameter and has 8 vent holes so more flexibility. I'll let you know how it works out. It's only money right?

We have a 1995 Pulsare 2100br with a 2007 ProXs 250, and we can run 75 MPH with 4 on board and it planes out in a matter of seconds. There are no plugs on the vent holes and we have 13-1/2 inches of setback. We also have a 28 trophy and again, getting on plane; a matter of seconds. We have tried a 30 pitch cleaver style and never have we had a planning issue (power). In my opinion, you need venting at the prop to let the prop slip and allow the motor to get to an RPM range where it is making decent power and torque. Again just my opinion.

Good Luck
Chuck

I might still have a 25 pitch Tempest you could try for the cost of shipping, but I have to make sure I still have it.

Reactions: JW
24 FURY 4 was the ticket

Hey Everyone,
I had a chance to try the 24 FURY 4 and it shot out of the hole like a rocket. It has 8 vent holes and I left them all open. I'm not sure what top end looks like. I'm expecting it will be slower at higher RPM's but I will let you know. I'm just glad I can pull by daughter skiing without having to put everyone in the bow. :))

Back