• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Hull oxidation?

ontherocks83

I pulled my boat out of the water this weekend for the first time since I purchased it. This is my first boat with out bottom paint so the hull maintenance is a little new to me.

I bought Slimy Grimy and a 3 gallon chemical sprayer. The brown pond scum melted off with ease. Afterwards I noticed a white chalky substance left on the hull. I can scrape it off with my finger nail and there is smooth fiberglass left underneath it. If I get it wet it makes a white slurry mess. I have been told it is the fiberglass oxidizing and I can buff it off and polish the hull but it will come back with use of the boat.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to clean it off and is it worth the effort?

Yes, I just bought it and have not purchased a lift yet. I am considering next year pulling it out every weekend if I dont get a lift, but obviously that becomes a giant pain

A buffer and quality compound is where I would start. 3m makes quality products, there offer a 3 step process but you would probably only need the last 2.

Could be lime and calcium , find a good fiberglass shower cleaner and try it on a spot that doesn't show . Follow directions , most cleaners have acid in them . Wash off right away ! Must re-wax right away !
The lake I boat in is terrible , I do this twice a year on just the hull . No problems so far , 20+ years on Glen Lake .
Redboat

You might be looking at the bio residue (killed by the cleaner) of what was growing on the bottom of the hull. Scrub it off of there, polish her up real nice, and get some wax on there. That nice fresh, smooth, slick hull will be 2 to 3 mph faster afterwards.

First, Get the boat out of the water if not bottom coated. You will end up with blisters.
Second, Never bottom coat a checkmate. its just not good for them.

The white is oxidation. Depending on the level of it you might be able to buff off with some cutting compound and a real buffer, on up to you might need to lightly sand then buff.

Have fun and enjoy.

First, Get the boat out of the water if not bottom coated. You will end up with blisters.
Second, Never bottom coat a checkmate. its just not good for them.

The white is oxidation. Depending on the level of it you might be able to buff off with some cutting compound and a real buffer, on up to you might need to lightly sand then buff.

Have fun and enjoy.

I am going to do something different next year. Hopefully buying a lift, but I have to get the trailer repaired first (which is why it never came out until recently). If the trailer is fixable then I'll get a new (to me) lift next year. If not repairable then new trailer next year and I'll have to live with hauling it every weekend. I guess there are worse problems in life.:bigthumb:

Back