• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I am new... Can you help me?

Model Type

Any bets on the model type of this craft? Like I said, from looking at the brochure, I THINK it is a Starfire, but don't know Checkmates good enough to say. It is a 1988 that is a little over 10 feet long.

I am going to pull it out of the water, get it on the trailer, and see what it looks like. I might mess with it a little, or clean it up and sell it as a project boat like has been suggested. I have no emotional attachment to it... except it has the potential to be one fine looking boat. I like the lines.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I joined as a supporting member because I figure I will be pickin' youse guyses brains quite a bit over the next several months!

Bill

Any bets on the model type of this craft? Like I said, from looking at the brochure, I THINK it is a Starfire, but don't know Checkmates good enough to say. It is a 1988 that is a little over 10 feet long.

I am going to pull it out of the water, get it on the trailer, and see what it looks like. I might mess with it a little, or clean it up and sell it as a project boat like has been suggested. I have no emotional attachment to it... except it has the potential to be one fine looking boat. I like the lines.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I joined as a supporting member because I figure I will be pickin' youse guyses brains quite a bit over the next several months!

Bill

you say a little over 10ft long????? it is hard to tell the model but my guess would be a starfire as well:thumb: if it is it would be 18ft i think.

Thank you for becoming a supporting member. :thumb:

I very much appreciate your support.

Enjoy! :)

-Chris

:sssh: My guess is a Checkmate Senator

CHECKMATE_SENATOR_1.jpg

CHECKMATE_SENATOR.jpg

I have to disagree look at my pic of the notched circled and look where the ski rope goes. I still think Senator

yty.jpg

The verdict is in...

Big Red is right! I just got off the phone with my friend, who said it was a Senator. He recognizes the name now. He is 100% sure it is not a Starfire.

Does anyone have a good quality picture from the 1988 brochure? I copied the one off the link you guys posted, but it is not real clear.

Thanks for helping solve the mystery! Now, if only the Checkmate genies would visit me one night....

Bill

Getting Closer...

Last Monday, my Dad, Son, and I went and started lifting the Senator out of the water. We were able to get a strap under the boat just behind the center and lift it with a combination of the boat lift and a come-a-long. As we raised it, we pumped water out, lightening the load.

As we were doing this (slow process pumping water) we were able to start working on the trailer to get it road-worthy. It has/had an old atwood hitch which was pretty much shot, as was the jack and one bearing set. took the tire off the spindle with the blown bearings, strapped the trailer to the truck using safety chains, and towed it to my Dad's house for rehab.

This past weekend, we replaced the bunk boards, cut and welded a new hitch assembly on, replaced the jack-stand, replaced some brakeline, replaced the front half of the wiring harness, installed new bearings and re-packed the others, and filled it with brake fluid. Now, it is time to get the boat onto the trailer!

Hopefully, this weekend we will accomplish that. I have to get someone to tow it from the boathouse to the ramp (about 1/4 - 1/2 mile) to load it on. Then, I will take pictures as it sits, and again after I clean it. Hopefully, any visitors have decided to depart since there is no longer water available...

Then the real work starts... if it is deemed to even be worth it. If not, look for a senator for sale:sssh:

Other than Mr. Buss and the Gent from Holland, how many other Senators are out there? I would love to see some pictures of this boat finished for inspiration! Private email is good! btrbill@yahoo.com

More Later...

The Senator is HOME!

Well, today, My Dad, Mom, Wife, and I got the Senator out of the water on on to the trailer! I have to say, riding in the boat, even under tow, was pretty darn cool! We stopped by a car wash to "rinse" things off, then towed it home and began the cleanup. I will post a picture here, and then go start a new thread in the overhaulin section. Look for the Louisiana Senator thread.

I do have some questions, and I will post them over there...

Attachments

• Boat at home.jpg
    Boat at home.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 30
Don't know how I missed this thread. WOW! That kind of abuse should be criminal. I hope you able to do something with it as it was a nice boat...at one time. Like you already mentioned, there's not going to be one good piece of wood on it. In fact, you'll be lucky if anything beside the shell can be salvaged. Where was to "camp"? Tchefuncte? Tickfaw???

Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it.

Like you already mentioned, there's not going to be one good piece of wood on it. In fact, you'll be lucky if anything beside the shell can be salvaged. Where was to "camp"? Tchefuncte? Tickfaw???

Jallen, his camp was by Warsaw Marina just off the Blood River. The wood is actually in real good shape, just one area of concern I found today. If you get a chance, drop me a line at btrbill@yahoo.net since we live so close. I would love for you to come take a look at it here on the Northshore.

Bill

just found this post. o man !! good for you. glad your saving it. i never saw it in the water. at least it was covered. LOL

Back