• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Is there a clearcoat n older Checkmates?

Most of the 220 seems to be coming out in the 6 & 8 rounds. There a few stubborn ones but I think they'll come out. I'm doing all da so but i will hand rub the ones that remain.

My pulse170's black gelcoat was oxidized really bad. I ended up using 400 grit and worked my way thru 1500 grit. After that buffed with compound, polish then a good coat of wax. I've Aqua buff products as well, good stuff just messy.

Here it is on the way to CT River Run, it looks pretty good from a few feet away, not bad for an 89. If I can keep it looking like this I'll be happy. Looking at it at certain angles close up shows the swirls though. Maybe I'll try Aquabuff next season.

cleardot.gif

http://db.tt/xm3Orda3

Yea, maybe could have been better if I spent more time with 600 or 1000. In hindsight 220 seems to have scratch and brought it down too thin but anything less than 220 was not taking that darker stuff off very easy (even the 220 was work). But in the end it looks brighter and shiny enough for a boat that I consider my 'budget boat'

Your in the same situation that I am. I may have got too aggressive but if I didn't the only fix was a paintjob. I figured it was worth a shot and seems to be paying off.

Yea that's how I felt, nothing to lose, and it looks much better now, maybe I can continue to work it some more next season and get some of the rough spots smoothed up. I didn't take my rails off cause I didn't want to mess up my cabin liner....

All in all this is a great boat for the little $ I have in it. I just put a DAH worked 24 chopper on and what a difference in ride, lift, practically neutral trim and boat rides so much better. Easily does 65 now with stock 200 stock lower 15" setback and I think it will touch 70 with light load.

Looks great! I did mine almost 7 months ago and its held up pretty well. Still looks way better than when I started but not as good as when I first finished. Need to go a little deeper on two parts of the deck and give the whole thing a glaze and wax or maybe a light compound, glaze, wax. Looking forward to seeing my boat's near twin on Sunday.

John

Hello,,,,,back in the day (1978) I bought a new predictor,,,,in 1982 I had to have the deck redone. It had turn a white haze,,,,the boat was light blue and silver metal flake....took the boat to a local body shop,,,,they wet sanded and then sprayed DuPont ,,,zintari clear coat,,,,,,it looked better than new when I picked it up,,,,,,I sold the boat in 1988 ,,,,still looked new,,,clear coat held up much better than the factor finish,,,,,,loved that boat,,,now looking for a enforcer,,,,time to start boating again,,,,,take care,,,,

Hello,,,,,back in the day (1978) I bought a new predictor,,,,in 1982 I had to have the deck redone. It had turn a white haze,,,,the boat was light blue and silver metal flake....took the boat to a local body shop,,,,they wet sanded and then sprayed DuPont ,,,zintari clear coat,,,,,,it looked better than new when I picked it up,,,,,,I sold the boat in 1988 ,,,,still looked new,,,clear coat held up much better than the factor finish,,,,,,loved that boat,,,now looking for a enforcer,,,,time to start boating again,,,,,take care,,,,

I have a OB Enforcer for sale and boatman has a I/O Enforcer for sale.:D

I looked at a used red 2100BR a couple summers ago that had the entire deck clear-coated. Seemed to keep the red and black their natural color rather than fading terribly. The unfortunate part for that boat was when the shooter got to the rear deck area, he had some sort of problem because it had terrible fish-eyes. Bow looked great. The boat sat in the sun in an uncovered lift.

Yes,,,my buddy had his sidewinder sprayed the same day at the same body shop,,,his peeled a little in the well,,,,,,may have been gas,,,oil,,,not completely cleaned before spraying?????? But my checkmate turned out great,,,very happy with it.

Well to answer your question on the clear. If it has flake in it clear gel was sprayed first then the flake and color. Reason being the flakes would stick out if they didn't lay flat. Most bass boats are still done this way. You can respray it with clear gel but it is a lot of work but in my op worth it. Take a look at my ambassador thread I resprayed the whole boat and it looked like new.If the pics arnt there just ask jw or chris. its the way to go. oh and a red scotchbrite pad works a lot better than all that sandpaper.just my .02 but I earn a living at it.

Back