• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jackplate

icon_smile.gif
Welcome! cak

That would be way too low. Too much gear case under water causing drag and chine walking if you could get it to go fast enough to chine walk.

Regards,

Jim

This probobly sounds real stupid, but here goes anyway. I have a manual jack plate, to raise it do I just loosen the two bolts on each side of the plate and then use a jack to lift it or is ther another way? I am new to using jack Plates of any kind.

does your jackplate have a large threaded rod in the middle of it? most have some sort of screw for turning that will crank the jackplate up and down, unless its the style that is just a set of brackets that are 2 seperate pieces, in which case you will need to hoist the motor somehow to lift it. the screws on the side must be loosened no matter what in order to adjust a jackplate.

If its the 2 piece plate with the locking bolts on the side its a bit of a pain to raise the motor. The darn things are heaver than they look. We installed one on my buddies boat. Took it to the lake for some testing. It will go down in a big hurry. We ended up lowering the motor untill it hit bottom (sand) and put 3 people in the boat. Once we had the plate loose we had the people walk to the back of the boat. With the motor trimed down the plate raised up and we tightened the side bolts. Make sure you do not have any positive trim. This make the plate bind. Also lay a ruler on the sides of the plate and make the inches. This was very helpfull in telling how high the plate was and making sure both sides are even.

Guys,
I am getting a Jack plate installed in my 1990 pulse 185 with a Johnson 150gt.
The mechanic I talked to said I should think about changing steering systems in my boat.
Have any of you had to do this?

What steering system do you have now. A duel cable setup is a bunch safer when running high speed. Also install a water pressure gauge to insure that you have enough water pressure when raising the engine up.

175checkmate,
I have the mercury push rod cable streering in it now.
My mechanic says I should get a hydrualic system. He said it would be well worth the cost.

I only have one hole that is booted where all of the fuelines, steering and battery cables come out.

Yes I do have a water pressure gage.
The Johnson is turning about 5300 rpm at wot. I have it propped with a turbo four blade. The mph is about 55-57 totally trimmed out.
Would the jack plate be worth it?
How much more speed and rpm's would I get?

You should upgrade from the single cable steering, its not very safe. Dual cable is the safest and best defense for chine walking, but I like hydraulic steering for overall ease and safety. Its worth the money.
F150Gt

I have a Sea Star system on my boat and my brothers and dads, there easy to install and have been very dependable. About $1000.00.

Back