• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jet boat restoration/mod

I like different also so do what you want with the motor. However I agree you need big power to turn that pump. Either way, keep us posted:thumb:

Thanks to everyone for thier interest :)

Just a couple of notes on the project:

I will go ahead with it and I will see it through all the way to the end. I agree it's not the best engine for a jet application but I'm hanging my hat on the the concept that the factory had some sucess with it so it's not a completely foolish idea.

I'm a 928 collector so I see this as more of cool thing to showcase a 928 engine. I have a selection of these engines on hand and they are what I'm mechanically the most familiar with.

Yes, I have the actual factory parts. Somebody pulled the engine from a boat and used it in a car. I have everything that was removed. And it's a BIG pile of stuff. I don't think I will bother with the closed circuit cooling because it adds weight, complexity and frankly, ugliness. This will be a strictly freshwater boat.

The engine I have selected is fairly rare. It's a 1981 "euro" engine that was chosen for it's 300HP output (US cars only had 220hp). It also has a completely mechanical bosch fuel injection system that does not need to be supported by any computers or electronics. I'm running this set up in a car right now and the injection system has no trouble compensating for mild boost levels (I'm using centrifugal super charger) of 5-6lbs.

I'm waiting for the sunshine here...hoping to get pictures of the boat today.

thanks again
Dave T

Thanks to everyone for thier interest :)

Just a couple of notes on the project:

I will go ahead with it and I will see it through all the way to the end. I agree it's not the best engine for a jet application but I'm hanging my hat on the the concept that the factory had some sucess with it so it's not a completely foolish idea.

I'm a 928 collector so I see this as more of cool thing to showcase a 928 engine. I have a selection of these engines on hand and they are what I'm mechanically the most familiar with.

Yes, I have the actual factory parts. Somebody pulled the engine from a boat and used it in a car. I have everything that was removed. And it's a BIG pile of stuff. I don't think I will bother with the closed circuit cooling because it adds weight, complexity and frankly, ugliness. This will be a strictly freshwater boat.

The engine I have selected is fairly rare. It's a 1981 "euro" engine that was chosen for it's 300HP output (US cars only had 220hp). It also has a completely mechanical bosch fuel injection system that does not need to be supported by any computers or electronics. I'm running this set up in a car right now and the injection system has no trouble compensating for mild boost levels (I'm using centrifugal super charger) of 5-6lbs.

I'm waiting for the sunshine here...hoping to get pictures of the boat today.

thanks again
Dave T

Cool, Don't forget, purchase the correct size Impeller for your Horse Power, Torque, and RPM range.

Bob M (Jet)

The "before" pictures

Here are some pictures of the boat. It's a 1977. It's actually better than I had anticipated based on the one bad picture in the ebay ad.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 35
And some more..

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 25
Well, that certainly looks like a good platform to showcase some different power with a cool ride.. Will you be keeping the metal flake finish? The flake finishes are cool .. :) J

And the engine..

Big lump of iron here, I am anxious to get it on the scale to see if my new engine will be lighter. Anyone know the weight of this 460 ford? My Porsche engine weighs 440 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 23
Well, that certainly looks like a good platform to showcase some different power with a cool ride.. Will you be keeping the metal flake finish? The flake finishes are cool .. :) J

I like flake finishes, they have a nice nostalgic, period correct look to them. I have a good friend who is a proffesional glass guy. He is going to check it out and give me an opinion on how savable the original finish is.

Engine..

Meanwhile, indoors work progresses on assembling the engine.

Attachments

• long block.jpg
    long block.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 26
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 27
:lol: The 460 and 429 is the heaviest engine out of the entire Ford family. It weighs 720 pounds.

I think that motor will look pretty wicked in the boat. Even if you cant get it to hit the 70mph mark, you will get a lot of conversations out of the power plant. If you get it clean enough, it would be neat to have a lexan window showing it all off:thumb:

I think that motor will look pretty wicked in the boat. Even if you cant get it to hit the 70mph mark, you will get a lot of conversations out of the power plant. If you get it clean enough, it would be neat to have a lexan window showing it all off:thumb:

Yeah, I think the 70MPH target was a little optimistic but let's see what happens.

Stuff is trickling back form the powder coaters.......got the timing belt and some accessory stuff mounted today. All this will be hidden by belt covers....having some trouble with the clearcoat on the covers, gonna repaint them before I go home. I'm moving the alternator to the back so the only spinning thing on the frnt of the motor will be the crank damper. should be a nice clean look.

I am going with a completely open motor....no engine cover. It will have upswept water-injected headers.

Attachments

• t belt at 28pt.jpg
    t belt at 28pt.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 26
That should look pretty sick in there. I bet it will sound nice too.

Will it run fine with open exhaust?

That should look pretty sick in there. I bet it will sound nice too.

Will it run fine with open exhaust?

I don't anticipate any problems with the open exhaust. On my race car with the same engine, I'm running tube headers into 3" dual pipes (essentially an open system) and I picked up 30 hp on the dyno. If I find that I need some back pressure, I might consider using these supertrapp baffles that are currently on the boat.

I like flake finishes, they have a nice nostalgic, period correct look to them. I have a good friend who is a proffesional glass guy. He is going to check it out and give me an opinion on how savable the original finish is.

Wow, The boat looks in great shape. That engine looks pretty wild too! Should make for a pretty cool project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!

I was looking at the finish on the boat. I like the color. You may be able to save the original finish and colors by simply clear coating the boat. I've done this to several boats including mine. I always use Dupont Imron on a boat, it really works well. The first time I did my boat, many years ago, I simply cleared it. This last time I wanted to change the colors.

If you want any more info on Imron and the procedures, I'll be glad to offer any help and ideas I can. :bigthumb:

Bob

it might be just me but i think you should run it without the belt covers. it looks sick. especially if you cover it with something like lexan.

Back