• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

LAKETRASH PREDICTOR RESTORE

ontopcop

The floor is out of the Predictor, I am ready to start putting it back togethere. While reading the Post, I need something clarified. I believe I've read that I need to saturate the stringers in resin, is this the same resin that I use when I do the fiberglass work? If so, is it with or without the hardner.

Thanks
Lanny

I pulled the gas tank and gutted everything back there, well, what was left anyway. The transom seems solid, no cracks on either the inside or the outside. I have seen a few post's where it was mentioned that braces were added. I can understand doing so, but where, how and what was used.
on an interesting note, when I removed what I am going to assume was the original gas tank, one of the screws on the top tab was missing the flat washer, I found it imbeded in glass near the drain plug.

When I rebuild the stringers, do I box in around the bilge area and connect the stringers to that? Should I run supports up to the top of the hull?

I am still debating on cutting out the floor under the bow area, it is just 1/4 ply, full of foam, the foam is dry and very brittle. It appears that the stringer ran up under the bow, I was thinking of just sliding the stringer as far up into the foam as I can and just leaving it like that. Any ideas.

Pic's are coming.

Coop,

I did the manage attachment, it took the pics, i guess and that was all she wrote. If I go to the 'manage attachments it says I have so much space of attachments, but where they went I do not know.

i will try this again

Attachments

• LAKETRASH RESTORE 006.jpg
    LAKETRASH RESTORE 006.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 150
  • LAKETRASH RESTORE 005.jpg
    LAKETRASH RESTORE 005.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 121
Get rid of those seat boxes.

Knock them seat boxes out of there too. Someone has tried to repair them, by placing wood on top of them..One of my Trimates had that. Your replacing the floor, you might as well put NEW boxes in.

I am still debating on cutting out the floor under the bow area, it is just 1/4 ply, full of foam, the foam is dry and very brittle. It appears that the stringer ran up under the bow, I was thinking of just sliding the stringer as far up into the foam as I can and just leaving it like that. Any ideas.

Pic's are coming.

You already are in it this far.. I would continue up & finish it off the right way.. It will also make a stronger & more rigid repair. Dont let the front of the new wood unglassed. If water got up there & in all your hard work could be in vain.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Well I took your advice and cut into the front bow area. After all of this demo, I think my boat was built on a Friday... The only evidence of a stringer was a piece of fiberglass about 8" long folded over what was left of part of the stringer, and this was imbedded up front in the foam. But thats ok, she's still a Checkmate and I can rebuild her. ;)

Attachments

• LAKETRASH RESTORE 007.jpg
    LAKETRASH RESTORE 007.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 95
  • LAKETRASH RESTORE 009.jpg
    LAKETRASH RESTORE 009.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 91
See... It's god you did.. I redid one of my checkmates about 15 years ago.. It was a fast little thing.. The model eludes me @ the moment. It was 14' & had a 120 OB on it.. It was a little riot!! :) Jamie / Lakeside

???

:) The transom seems solid, no cracks on either the inside or the outside. I have seen a few post's where it was mentioned that braces were added. I can understand doing so, but where, how and what was used.

When I rebuild the stringers, do I box in around the bilge area and connect the stringers to that? Should I run supports up to the top of the hull?

stringer question

While walking the isle of Homet Depot, I reallized I have some 1x6 & 1x8 whitewood and pine boards in my shop. I noticed that alot of restores used plywood for the stringers, will the pine or whitewood boards work just as well?

While walking the isle of Homet Depot, I reallized I have some 1x6 & 1x8 whitewood and pine boards in my shop. I noticed that alot of restores used plywood for the stringers, will the pine or whitewood boards work just as well?

You could use yellow pine, fir works nicer if you have it. Just make sure it is dry, not very sappy & make sure you resin it good.. :)

'78 Predictor-Merc 150

I noticed you had made a post regarding motors. I'm not that knowledgeable with the engine aspect. I am happy with my Merc 150, it is I am assuming the motor that came with the boat. It runs, and it does run well. If something was to ever go wrong with the motor, do you know if it is worth having it worked on, or should I start looking for a better option?

Back