• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

looking for Gelcoat color code

H2O

Can anyone help me find the gelcoat colors that Checkmate used around 2012?
I need to repair some of the RED on my boat, and the gel guy says it would be easier if he had had the original color code.
FYI - Caldwell Marine says they do not have any of Checkmates historic production info.
Thx!

Attachments

• checkmate-brx-322290.jpg
    checkmate-brx-322290.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 8
PM ‘Cooperider’ and he can probably help you out. I’m guessing the vendor was American Colors out of Sandusky, Oh.

Reactions: H2O
PM ‘Cooperider’ and he can probably help you out. I’m guessing the vendor was American Colors out of Sandusky, Oh.
American Colors out of Sandusky, has a new name and no longer makes gelcoat. A company like Fiberlay or Fibreglast can match it if you provide a small sample of the color. But unless you cut a piece of the boat off to send them that may be a dead end. Your best bet is to get a paint supply place scan it. Get a small amount painted on something, and maybe send that to get it matched in gelcoat.

UPDATE - I'm still trying to find the gelcoat color code, this time for the WHITE used on my boat.

FYI - To anyone that finds this post later. I was able to send a small piece of the damaged red fiberglass to restexcomposites.com They were able to expertly scan and match the color using their in house scanner (from a sample the size of a quarter). Their service was outstanding, the match was good and the price was very fair. I also spoke with expresscomposites.com and they were very helpful too. They have complete gelcoat repair kits for a great prices. They can also scan and match gelcoat, but they have to send a 2" x 2" sample to their vendor (Ashland) and there is a long lead time get the match done.

I'm still hoping someone can help me find the original WHITE color code used on this generation of Checkmates. I need to patch some small areas, and I haven't found a way to scan color gelcoat locally. I'm hesitant to core out a sample send ii...but if worse comes to worse, I may have to cut a piece out from (under the seats or dash?) to send in for a color match.

H2O, I am building my color selection by cutting samples from boats around the yard, unfortunately I do not have a white Checkmate sitting around. Although I may be getting one in soon, but I can't guarantee that it will be the same white as yours since it is an older 253.

Reactions: H2O
Back