• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Major Dilemma?

Sam I am

Well, I knew this would happen at some point, but I'm still not fully prepared for giving this consideration: my daughters want a wakesurf boat. They're done with tubing, but don't want to ski (not many do these days) and want to have friends out and hang on the boat and do all that stuff.

I'll be honest, I totally get it. Wake surfing looks like something I could get into. It's not fast, no violent spills, and I'm pretty sure it's something my old, fat a$$ can do with my kids and make some memories on the water.

I wouldn't have any problem turning my daughter loose with a boat that maxes out at 40 mph, but I won't let her solo in the Checkmate.

Just shopping and researching these things will give a guy a f'ing stroke. And I'll need a new lift because my Starliner lift is only rated to #4000. Good gawd...I'm starting to sweat and itch just thinking about. But, I have 8 years left with my girls, only 4 with the oldest. I get that my Checkmate dream isn't their checkmate dream.

If you could swing financially, what you guys do? Sell the Liner and buy a Douche Canoe? Or just stare at the Liner which seems to sit on the lift more and more rather than haul ass across the lake?

Perhaps I've consumed one too many adult beverages this evening but there seem to be 6 decimals in the msrp at Mastercraft when I looked them up. Glad I wasn't holding my drinking glass for I fear I might have dropped it.

I've been looking at Sanger boats...they offer some real value and I could get by with the lift I have now with the 215

We wake surf behind our friend's Moomba. They bought a removable ballast bag called "The Fat Sack" to use. It works great and those boats can be had at a very reasonable cost.

My two cents, Fam time and building memories is what it's all about. It's irreplaceable and time with the kids goes way too fast. It's gone in the blink of an eye. If there's anyway you could swing keeping the Starliner and finding an affordable used Wakesurfing Boat, that would be ideal. After the Wakesurfing itch is scratched and the daughters have moved on you'd still have the CM. You know what you have and it'll be really hard to ever replace. It's a tough call especially since those things are soooo blasted expensive. I don't envy you at all. Wishing you the best.:thumb: Jim

Keep 'em both. Shop the used market....especially after July 4 as prices move from buyers market to sellers.

Many boats are "surfable" with a little ballast and a surf gate.

I have a Prostar 197 (I bought used in 2006) and I am an avid slalom and barefoot skier. With ballast and a gate, it is surfable.....not a mondo wake but surfable.

Find an 2001-20XX wakeboard boat that is deemed "crossover" and you'll be able to surf it with a gate and the ballast loaded...

I appreciate the feed back folks. I'm going to try and have my cake and eat it too so to speak. Great advice on waiting for the end of summer deals.

Don't skimp on the power! Indmar raptor 575 “Ultimate” 510 hp :thumb:

lol...I'm not really known for going "small" am I? I here you onthe power...

I'm really leaning towards a Sanger. The dealer in our area has a certified shop about a mile from the cabin. Service trumps a lot. I've also found a lot of good reviews on the Sanger boats on line and youtube. They're not a Mastercraft or any of the other big brands, but they offer a lot of value. I'm looking specifically at a 215 or 237. They're a small company, not unlike Checkmate, based in CA.

I get the time with your kids is priceless, but I’d have a real hard time parting with that boat, and I know you will regret it down the road, If you can’t swing both I say sell that e-tec and put the liner in shrink wrap, when the time is right a new merc and your all set.

I get the time with your kids is priceless, but I’d have a real hard time parting with that boat, and I know you will regret it down the road, If you can’t swing both I say sell that e-tec and put the liner in shrink wrap, when the time is right a new merc and your all set.

Not a bad idea...I could even drop a new 300 Pro XS on there since it's lighter than the G2.

Sam, I would keep the Starliner! The previous post suggesting selling the E-Tec and repowering later on when you're ready is smart. That E-Tec may still have warranty? Either way the $$ could go towards the wake board boat. Just store the Mate.

New wakeboard boats prices are absolutely insane. Recently saw an ad for a new 22 foot Mastercraft for $220K CDN. All the power to those who can afford that option but if I was serious about a wakeboard boat I'd find one that won't depreciate much over the next 4 to 6 years and enjoy (like the Pulsare I bought 9 years ago from a great guy!).

XSV SPD

Hi Sam
I ended up selling my Starliner as well since I was the only one who enjoyed it. I do miss it some days but not enough to want it back. My kids are married with little kids and they love riding in my 232 Interceptor. Quiet, stable, deeper and still 60+ fast. Challenge is getting your money out of a restored rig like yours. Splitting the motor might net you more dollars.

The big WS boats are insanely priced. More of a status symbol than a reasonable choice. Nothing wrong with a 21 footer like a Sanger. My neighbour has 21 foot something or another and he wake surfs all day with his teens. It is a nice boat and has enough wake to make my boats rock at my dock all day. Drives me crazy!

Good luck with your choice.

Hi Sam
I ended up selling my Starliner as well since I was the only one who enjoyed it. I do miss it some days but not enough to want it back. My kids are married with little kids and they love riding in my 232 Interceptor. Quiet, stable, deeper and still 60+ fast. Challenge is getting your money out of a restored rig like yours. Splitting the motor might net you more dollars.

The big WS boats are insanely priced. More of a status symbol than a reasonable choice. Nothing wrong with a 21 footer like a Sanger. My neighbour has 21 foot something or another and he wake surfs all day with his teens. It is a nice boat and has enough wake to make my boats rock at my dock all day. Drives me crazy!

Good luck with your choice.

I really appreciate your input Mark. You know more than most what these old Starliner bring to the table. I do love mine. It's been a great boat and it's still a real looker.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Sanger. Like you said a 21 footer is still a decent sized boat on an inland MN lake and it will surf just fine for my family. We're not going pro! And lastly, I never thought I'd be contemplating one of these thing for many reasons, costs being the biggest one followed closing by the jack-assery of it. I'm almost certain my Old Man is spinning in his grave right now, too.

I was able to determine that I'll still need to upgrade the lift...the 215 weights 4250 and the lift manufacturer said he's got some safety margin in there, but the first time someone forgets to empty the ballast and raises the lift it will crumble like a pop can since the same electric winch I have on my 4,000 is the same one they put on the 6,000. I trust me and my girls are straight A's with good heads on their shoulders, but I just see a wrecked lift being damn near a mathematical certainty.

Dilemma Solved

Found a beauty used Sanger in Canada. It's a 215 XTZ which is the most decked out trim option in that model. It's got an Indimar 6.2 Raptor 400 with just a tick over 100 hours in it and the best thing is it was a 2016 sold new in 2018 so I still get a year of warranty on it. I spoke to the folks at the factory and they answer my questions with no hesitation and told me how to make sure the warranty is transferred correctly. AND it's a private party sale so no tax and the exchange rate is really in my favor right now. The seller and I agreed to split the costs of a Broker to get the boat across the border since the closure was extended to July. I got great value, I don't need to upgrade my lift (I think...I may need to get a new canopy) I'm able to keep the Starliner (for now...if it doesn't get used after this boat shows up, I might as well sell it) and my kids and I get to try a new sport on the water...even my wife is going to give it a shot. Can't wait...love that Purple too!

It all worked out. I feel like @Jupiter Pulsare with multiple boats!

Sanger 215 XTZ.jpg

Back