• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercury outboard water intake modification

Tyannt

I came across a late 80's/early 90's Mercury 175Hp Black Max that had the water intakes on the sides of the propeller/gear housing filled over, and was told it now picks up water from the front of the propeller housing/cone. I felt a round hole i could stick my finger in. Was told the only drawback was if dragging the motor in the mud etc; would pickup junk...Additionally, i was told this modification allows the motor to be lifted higher, and still pickup water to cool the motor.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of modification?

I came across a late 80's/early 90's Mercury 175Hp Black Max that had the water intakes on the sides of the propeller/gear housing filled over, and was told it now picks up water from the front of the propeller housing/cone. I felt a round hole i could stick my finger in. Was told the only drawback was if dragging the motor in the mud etc; would pickup junk...Additionally, i was told this modification allows the motor to be lifted higher, and still pickup water to cool the motor.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of modification?

Had the exact same thing on my old Starflite. It really helped with water pressure at high speeds after I put a hydraulic jack plate on. The average depth of my home lake is 90ft., so hitting bottom wasn't an issue for me, but if you are in a shallow body of water, be extra careful.

Initially, i had thoughts that some enthusiast was checking out something he perhaps read about online! As it turn out he was, Lol I too was concerned; thinking of the consequences of sucking up mud, etc etc. I suppose i could always replace the lower
gear casing to return it to the original design...? After winterizing, could search for a stock housing to use next year..

Appreciate the reply!

Appreciate the replies guys; wondered if this was some home made mod!

Is this done by changing to some aftermarket prop housing? Asking in case i have reason
to return to original...

Thanks

Last edited:
Bob’s machine shop sells kits. If you have the ability you can install yourself or have a shop do it. You need to aluminum weld the new nose cone on, smooth out the work, install the plumbing hoses.
Some may try to duplicate the job without the kit but that would be a big PITA.

Without examining the work it might be pretty hard to tell how well the job was done.

I had a first yr CLE lower, there was two intake holes in front large enough to place my pinky tip in. The problem was it would suck seaweed up, the finer and thready seaweed. Pieces small as finger nails would work it’s way up to the inspection plates creating cooling problems. I was forever jumping in the water (no beaches) to pull the inspection plate and slide my coat hanger button hook up to clean out the passages. Some times in 2 footers.
Mercury quickly changed the design and put 5 smaller holes up front. The Drag racers say the 2 hole lower was just a little faster then the updated CLE.
Good Luck with your project!

Back