• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

MX-15 ROCK RASH

Save yourself some money and use polyester,cloth.woven/roven and some csm.the money you save you can use for when you do deck, stringers ect. then use epoxy on that phase of project:thumb:.

OK so the plan is to use West System epoxy(mostly because their store is about 15 min away)17 oz. B/A,fair it out with Cabisol.
So if I understand right you can't put GEL over epoxy(at all?).If that's the case it's primer and paint then?What works good?I was hoping to gelcoat the area as I thought it would help prevent delamination.Keep in mind that I won't be redoing the whole bottom at this time,just the repaired area.

Save yourself some money and use polyester,cloth.woven/roven and some csm.the money you save you can use for when you do deck, stringers ect. then use epoxy on that phase of project:thumb:.

Thought I had read that epoxy was better for below the water line repairs and stronger.Also this is a relatively small area,so cost shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:
Just checked out the US Composites Site.Man that stuff is way cheaper than West Sys.

I think west marine was the first to coin the phase break out another thousand for B.O.A.T. they are high but will price match from time to time.

You can gelcoat over epoxy if you use a primer. I think there's a thread somewhere on the forum. I'll see if I can find it. I went back and looked at the damaged area. Because it's small I would use polyester to repair the damage then gelcoat. That way you won't have any problems.

Edit: This is from Badbk's resto thread http://boatprojects.blogspot.com/2012/01/gelcoat-polyester-over-epoxy-synopsis.html#
and the link to his resto: http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23179

Another good read!Thanks.
You're more than likely right about the polyester doing the job.I'm just a bit worried about any delam happening.Gotta keeop in mind this is my first glass/hull repair.It is a small hole and if the general concensus(sp) is that poly will do the trick then that's what I'll use.

You will do ok. prep it and slowly build it up, shape it.maybe some more glass, finish sand it,put some gelcoat to it.preparation is key! And if there is a question always ask.you can mix cabosil into gelcoat to make a filler.Dont use bondo below the waterline... it will fall out.

You will do ok. prep it and slowly build it up, shape it.maybe some more glass, finish sand it,put some gelcoat to it.preparation is key! And if there is a question always ask.you can mix cabosil into gelcoat to make a filler.Dont use bondo below the waterline... it will fall out.
Pretty sure there will be lots of questions before this is done.Thanks again.Just got to get to it.:banana:

Back