• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New boat...bad experience

The gas in the tank is fresh, I filled the tank friday afternoon and added the oil at the same time. There was a splash of gas in there from the guy I got it from which he used to start the motor for me when I went to check out the boat

I know every body will try to say I am wrong, but I would try a shot of starting fluid to see if it would atleast start the dam thing. Take the cover off the motor, before you choke it, give a small shot of starting fluid in the carbs. Then follow the normal starting process. Once in a while wont hurt the motor. I had an old Merc. that would refuse to start at times unless I hit it with starting fluid.

Those old motors can be tricky to start, if you follow the process you described, after a minute or so of cranking on it you should smell gas, or see it in the water, once you are to this point. Stop, the motor is flooded. Let it sit for a good while. From a fresh start, motor cold, try pumping the throttle once to give it some gas before starting it. You may want to try pumping it twice, that will give it even more gas in the carbs. Good luck, keep playing with it, you will figure it out.

I understand what the starting fluid does and how it leans it out so please dont explain it to me. Take a two stroke motor apart and see how much oil is in the case. You will be fine.

Also, every one should know that those old controls have a seperate choke button. Come on newbee's.

I hope its not the issue, but you have to check everything.
There is another issue that may cause hard starting and power loss..
Low compression.:(
A compression test should be done to see if you have some weak holes. Low compression could be the result of past owners using starting fluid:poke:. Or its just worn out.

Some of this older stuff has more of learning curve to operating it. especially if its new to you, and you dont have the manuals to reference. I dont know anybody who was born knowing everything.

there should be a manual choke pull when you pull the top cover off. I know on mine the choke wont activate unless you push the button before cranking it.

Unless the old Mercs are different than all the other 2 strokes I've ever worked on there are no accelerator pumps in the carbs so pumping the throttle will not really do anything which is why the newer ones have a primer instead of a choke.

Some of em did have accelerator pumps like the old Walbro WMH's. Was on the opposite side from the inlet fitting on the two barrel sidedraft's

Back