• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New Member from Missouri

Finally purchased my first Checkmate, I picked up this 1989 Checkmate Maxxum 229, 330HP 454, bravo 1. I tried to do the research on this model of checkmate off the internet but wasn't able to find out much about it.
Were many of these made, I didn't see many of them on the internet, more info about the 229 would be appreciated.
Here is a picture of her on the beach this past weekend here on the river in St. Louis.

1989Checkmate.png

We'll have a red Persuader and a white/black/pink Convicor out on the Mississippi on one of the sandbars this weekend. Look for the beach with the DJ system and big party tents on it and drop by to say hi if you're out and about.

I had a 1990 23 maxxum with a 300 outboard.It handled the offshore waters well and had alot of cockpit room for a 23 ft boat.It only had a 50 gallon tank so distance was always a consideration.
The i/o boats were very popular in their time.Checkmate only built 5 outboard models.-------JB

looks good man . hope to see you at a get together this year. allot of us are going to lake Cumberland this year hope you can drag her down there .

Looks great Jason, did the guy end up telling you what he used to
remove the oxidation. Might be a product thats helpful for others to
try out.

Thanks. Not sure why my first post doesn't have the boat sitting on the beach. Thats when i first bought her over the summer. Got tired of seeing the other checkmates pull up and their gelcoat shined, so told myself over the winter i would find away to get her to shine. My boat mechanic tried many different types of compounds, but finally found a 3m product that worked pretty good. I will get the exact name of it, cause i know there are a lot of 3m products out there. I tried one myself and had no luck. The compound he is using is in a black bottle from 3m, i never even seen it at West Marine, so probably some auto body compound i never thought of. I will get it for you all.
The window are still off the boat, i am having the windows tinted and all the chrome repolished before i put it back on the boat. I have the new CHECKMATE decal to put back on the boat, luckily i called checkmate and they had the original decals for the boat sitting in the warehouse. :)
Plus he sent me a couple of Horse Head decals that matched my color scheme that were left over from the 80's. This summer and i am boating i plan on getting the interior redone, getting rid of the solid color stripes and going with a burgandy trim and solid white or off white color for the interior. Those solid burgandy and black during the summer is very hot when you sit on it. More pictures to come when progress has been made on her.

Thanks for the compliments guys, she has been fun to tinker with.

Jason

This is the stuff he used to buff the oxidation off my boat.
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t368/jmkinmo1970/1989 Checkmate Maxxum/3M6060_3M.jpg

2hgEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYCnmAUoEAwCTogAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Back