• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Newbie to boating, steering problem

Billy L

Hi all I have been looking at this site for about a month now. Two days ago i bought my first boat! It is a 79 Predictor, runs great, but noticed that under full power seems to pull if that is possible to left, I must keep pressure against wheel to the right. Is it the cables or another problem? Thanks in advance
Bill L

Hi all I have been looking at this site for about a month now. Two days ago i bought my first boat! It is a 79 Predictor, runs great, but noticed that under full power seems to pull if that is possible to left, I must keep pressure against wheel to the right. Is it the cables or another problem? Thanks in advance
Bill L

It is called torque steer. You must get used to it
thumb.gif

It can get a little better if you have an adjustable jack plate and can raise/lower the motor. If you find the "sweet spot", a lot of times the steering torque will decrease. But, the higher you raise the motor, the more pull you have. Just the way outboards are.

-Craig

Welcome to the board Billy.
thumb.gif

I gather there is no damage to the motor?

If the skeg or prop is bent, that can also cause increased torque steer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Webmaster
Checkmate-Boats.com-The Fanatics Home!

Welcome. Where abouts is this Lake Butler? Any idea what speeds you got? All boats will have a bit of torque steer. Some have more then others and yours just may be on the bad side or maybe its the fact you are a bit inexperieced until you get it set up properly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chevy Corvette Z06
Z06
Chris E.
Checkmate Fanatic
Chris.Ellard9@sympatico.ca
2003CorvetteZ06@addr.com

I agree with what has been said already. It also could be the prop you are running. Different types of prop's act different. I know if I bolt on my 4 blade I have a bunch of torque steer. But with the laser its mot has bad. The 4 blade just has more bite on the water. You could also install a torque tab to help

rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

I would recomend a torque tab. Before I got mine, the steering was so hard to the right i thought i would twist the steering wheel right off. Took two hands AND one knee to keep her straight.
icon_eek.gif
Now i can steer with one arm and minimal pull.I personally want to get no feedback steering but it's a bit pricy.

Back