• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

OMC: Post '78 vs. Pre '78

twright55

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Hello,
I have a '77 200hp Evinrude and an '82 150hp Evinrude.
I know some major changes were made in '78 and I wanted to know how that effects the compatibility of parts between the two.
Basically, they both have some issues and I was hoping to 'mix and match' some parts to end up with one good assembly.
So before I ask a bunch of questions, is there a guide on the internet somewhere that addresses this issue?
If not, then are major componants between the two interchangeable; can I swap lowers, midsections and/or powerheads for example?
Or how about swapping carbs and linkage (as a complete assembly) or ignition systems (as a complete assembly, of course.)
THe '77 200hp has a corroded and nasty looking powerhead, but has good compression. Mid-section and lower look fine.
THe '82 150hp has a very clean looking powerhead, but one bad cylinder. The midsection is very corroded, however.
I was thinking of keeping the basic 200hp block and midsection assembly and swapping over all the other parts (carbs, ignition, and lower) from the '82 150. (the 200hp has zip ties holding the linkage together and the ignition system is all spliced up and very corroded.)
Thanks for any help.
Tom

Whatever motor I end up with is going to end up going onto a '77 Trimate II, BTW ;)
[/FONT]

Hey, The cheapest thing I can think of is to get a NAPA Marine Products catalog. Then you might be able to see with parts are interchangeable by their part #. The usally give me one for free.

I have a used dual cable steering bracket off of a late 70's 200hp Evinrude. Apparently it's a little different that most later OMC's. If you want it I'll sell it cheap.

I have a used dual cable steering bracket off of a late 70's 200hp Evinrude. Apparently it's a little different that most later OMC's. If you want it I'll sell it cheap.

It's interesting that you mention the steering. There is definitely something strange going on with the steering on this boat. The (single) cable looks almost new, but is not hooked up to the motor. Then I noticed that the jack plate totally obstructs the steering tube! I am not sure why it would be designed that way or what the solution is.

I'm not sure what major changes you mean but the basic block remained the same on both of those motors. It was still a " cross-flow" 149.4 cubic block for a number of years. I don't believe that changed until they became "Loopers" in the later 80's. You should be able to cobble together one decent engine. It's been done before.

The exception to this was the "82" 235 hp which was a 160 cube block and that was also used on a number of V6 engines.

I'm not sure what major changes you mean but the basic block remained the same on both of those motors. It was still a " cross-flow" 149.4 cubic block for a number of years. I don't believe that changed until they became "Loopers" in the later 80's. You should be able to cobble together one decent engine. It's been done before.

The exception to this was the "82" 235 hp which was a 160 cube block and that was also used on a number of V6 engines.

Hi,
I have basically figured out what you said to be true. The block should be exactly the same. The ignition system completely changed and individual parts are not interchangeable. But the WHOLE system can be changed from one motor to the other.
Since then I have figured out that the ignition system on this motor is working fine.
I would LIKE to take the carbs from the '82 150 and use them on the '77 200, because they are more modern 3 jet carbs and have a better choking system. Plus they are in better condition with tighter linkage, etc. BUT, I am thinking they are jetted for the 150 and may not operate properly on the 200 (although they should physically bolt on.)

You should be able to re-jet the carbs from the 82 150 hp to the 82 200 hp specs using a Seloc or Clymer shop manual. ( Either buy one, go to the library, or you can probably get the specs on-line too)You can either remove them and have them drilled out or just buy a complete new set from an OMC dealer. Given the age of the motor that might be a little more difficult but there are plenty of dealers in used parts around the country that would probably sell you them. Or a complete set of used carbs. But now you're back to more cash again. I'd just have them drilled out by a performance shop.

You'll also need to get the 82 200 hp timing specs also and set this up so that it will run according to those. The rest of ignition components were the same as the 150 hp.

Forget trying to patch up those old motors, they were great fishing motors but sucked the fuel, even when it was $.75 per gallon, and never really had any performance. I will hook you up with a 88 model XP200 RUDE. Brand new land & sea billet heads, new boyesen reeds, big bore carbs off a 3.6GT offshore motor & a new low water pick-up from BOBS MACHING SHOP + new stator & power packs , a wiring harness & any 1 prop from my vast collection. $1500

Not knowing what somebody's budget is, putting together an engine from parts sometimes can be an be an inexpensive option to get out on the water. You can limit your fuel use somewhat and none of the V6 2-strokes are real fuel misers anyway.

BUT....that being said if you have an XP 200 Evinrude ( that's looper not a cross-flow too!) w/all of those goodies on it if a person can somehow put together $1500....well that's a very good deal if this engine hasn't been run to death AND it's spent it's life in freshwater. Not the ocean!

That offer does sound intriguing...
BTW, I live in Orange City, FL. Not that far from you (about an hour and a half drive or so.)
But right now, I don't have much money to spend:(
I would need to sell the two motors that I have, first. However, I agree that acquiring a nice motor like yours would be a lot better deal for me than fiddling around with these older cross-flows...

The engine came off of a Hydra sport fish & ski boat I bought last year. It is very clean. I have all the stock parts I took off of it. The motor has only been started on the stand since the heads & reeds have been changed. The lower unit has been run once (on my V8) after it came back from bobs machine. This thing sounds pretty nasty on the stand!!! As for props I have a 23p viper, 24p 4blade renagade, 25p cheap-o, 26p raker, 26p ballastic, 27p srx, 29p srx & a 29p mazco. (you cant have the mazco). Also, I didnt mean to bash your crossflow motor, but, if you like to run fast, it takes alot of work & money to keep they together. Plus, its bad enough to run the hell out of a 20 year old motor, yours is almost 30. We all know things that do get better with age, but an outboards is not one of them. I will post a few pics next week, I have to dig the motor out of the back of my garage.

Here are a few pics of the motor, ignore all the junk in my garage. The 1st pic is of the lower unit--still on the V8.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
Back