• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Our 76' V Mate I

I noticed in on picture that you had an old metal gas tank. You might want to buy a new plastic 12 gallon tank. It should fit perfect in middle of the floor against the transom. My first boat was the same but a 1977 V-Mate. Same boat but brown and gold sunburst. I changed over to a new tank and cheap fuel filter and never had another carb. problem.

That's a good idea. We were talking about changing that out this winter anyways.. Thought about putting one up in the bow... Not sure if that's a good idea or not and was hoping to run out the boat a little more this year before we made that decision...

That's a good idea. We were talking about changing that out this winter anyways.. Thought about putting one up in the bow... Not sure if that's a good idea or not and was hoping to run out the boat a little more this year before we made that decision...

Hey Silverbullet,

I run the tanks under the bow, just regular plastic tanks and i slide them in and out. It makes a difference on how it drives, it keeps the bow down a bit.

Thanks for the info! Do you consider it a good difference??

We're adding a rear bench seat this winter and I'm thinking with a couple people in the back it could be a really good balance w/ the tank in the bow.. I just don't want to mess it up if we're out hauling around w/ the two of us in it...

Thanks for the info! Do you consider it a good difference??

We're adding a rear bench seat this winter and I'm thinking with a couple people in the back it could be a really good balance w/ the tank in the bow.. I just don't want to mess it up if we're out hauling around w/ the two of us in it...

I think it depends on what you want. If you are trying to squeeze the last few MPH out of your boat, I'm not sure the bow is the best placement. If you are looking to set it up for 2 or 4 people cruising then I would personally say the bow is the best place. You may loose 1 or 2 MPH but the bow doesn't rise nearly as much with the tank(s) in the front when taking off. Even with my tanks in the front I can have the boat nearly completely aired out when trimmed all the way up. Some people put the hydrophoils boat-outboard-motor-hydrofoil-21475-466267.jpg
on their boat motor for the same reason, to minimize the amount the bow rises during take off and to minimize porpoising. I toolk my fins off and the boat drives way better and the tanks in the bow was enough to remedy both.

Plus with the fins off I went form 43MPH to nearly 47MPH :surf:

If you watch this video you will see my holeshot and my top speed with the tanks in the front and the fins ON, this was before I removed the fins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IEuWWDaBeg

I run an 18 gallon poly tank in the front of mine with no problems at all. It is permanently installed and allows for a good days run w/o the hassles of playing with the 6 gal tanks all day. When I want to take a long extended run, I put a portable 12 in the back. (use the back gas first). She handles different with the weight, so I keep things centered.

Back