• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pete's 1998 219 Persuader

Thanks again bill, I am very lucky. But my boat will look better floating next to yours along with a full cooler of course! I hear what you're saying, I think the marige 23 will be the best for my boat for top end but would still like to try the 25. I have a 22 bravo 1 that I tryed, not the best on top end (64mph) but handaled great and gave one hell of a whole shot! I'll probally buy the bravo from my friend scince he cant spin it with his Baja 272. He up-graded his 454 mag with a 502 and put on a pro charger, Now the 22 brovo does not work and he will give it to me for $250 (like new, Not a bad price. Where did you find the best prices for merc props? I went to go-fast.com and they had mirages for $460. Know of others?

Pete,
The Bravo I have is the one I ordered with the boat and Checkmate is good enought o exhange it and work with me on finding the right prop that works. My Mirage Plus I bought on EBAY, Got it new with shipping for only 350.00. Unfortunately that is too small, so I am working with Checkmate also on that sice it was kind of a crap shoot on props since they have run had a chance to r&d the boat/motor/drive/gear ratio I have. My final results are looking promising.

ZT 240 6.2litre 320 H.P

Pete, I would seel it to you, but I am exchanging it for a 25, at least I think a 25 is what i will end up running. Sorry. EBAY is a great place for props if you know exactly what you need, because generally you can't exchange it.

ZT 240 6.2litre 320 H.P

Thanks Rick,
I hope to bring the boat up next friday late afternoon or sat morning. What are your hours on fri. and sat? I did try a 23 mirage plus 69-70 mph and a 23 mirage that was blueprinted by propllers that ran 71 mph. Both of these ran at 4600rpms. The 27 mirage was 68 mph at 4400. Do you have a 25 mirage plus? Also how long will you need the boat to install the cockpit cover, depth gadge, and take a look at the trim tabs? Also what kind of preformance gains can I expect from the K&M kit in top end,low end, and fuel econo? I have one in my truck (and am impresed), Hope for the same results in the boat

I tryed a 25 mirage + (72 mph @ 4200 rpms,But found out thanks to barnie and a gps that it is a true 66mph) up at ricks the other day and got another 1.5 mph out of the baot and still came out of the whole as good as the 23 pitch. That was with 3 people and a full tank of fuel. Then had a chance to take it out this past sat with me and one other and a half tank of fuel and hit 75.5 mph @ 4300 rpms. This was in a 1-2 ft chop. So I think I must be around 69 gps. Things are looking up! Next step is to maybe lab the prop.and get another 1-2 mph. The more I use this boat the more I love it! Thanks again rick for the great job on the boat and all the help, the beer was a nice added bonus!

Great numbers Pete, but don't forget you want to be at the top of your RPM range, you are too low at 4300, you want to be at 4600 to 4800 at WOT. I am with you an the labbed prop. When I am finished tinkering with props, I will have my Mirage 25 labbed. Good luck!
thumb.gif

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 25P Mirage Plus

I hear you bill, but with the 23+ I was running 71 mph @ 4600 (by myself) and then tryed the 25+ and was running 75 @ 4300(with 1 other) a nice gain even with the lower rpms. So I decided to keep my 23 and get the 25+, it's to hard to give back the extra speed and when I had the baot at bay veiw barnie thought I should go with the 25+ because the extra speed, better handeling and just as good of whole shot.

Pete, Something you might want to look at is how much you run wide open. To run those low RPM's is very hard on your motor. It is like trying to climb a 20% grade towing a boat in high gear. Honestly, I am rather surprised someone at Rick's told you that was okay. Even though Merc puts a range og 4400-4800 on your motor, If you talk to a certified mechanic or a Merc engineer, they will tell you that you need to run 4700-4800. I know it is hard to give up the speed though...

Thanks Bill, I HAVE HEARD THAT IT IS BETTER TO BE IN THE UPPER END OF THE RPM RANGE ALSO BUT WANTED A PROP TO GIVE ME THE BEST TOP END FOR THE TIMES I WANTED TO JUST GO AND RUN AT WOT, THATS WHY I THOUGHT I WOULD KEEP MY 23+ FOR THE OTHER TIMES. ALSO I AM PLANNING ON LABBING MY 25+, THIS WILL GIVE ME AN ADDED 100 - 150 RPMS. WICH SHOULD PUT ME AROUND THE 4600 RPMS RANGE AND HOPEFULY AN ADDED 2-3 MPH.

I am with ya Pete, I am going to have one of my 25's labbed too
thumb.gif
Are you still planning on attending the event in Aug at Ricks???
thumb.gif

Bill, I would not miss it. After meeting rick and the guys I think it is going to be one very good time! It's also going to be great to meet some of the peolpe from the board,I wish it was sooner but rick is also having a poker run in june I'm hopeing to make. Are you still planning on going?

We are going in Aug. I never got my registration for the Poker Run. We have decided to go to Racine for a long weekend on Lake Michigan over fathers day weekend. We are going to play on the lake between Winthrop Harbor and Milwaukee. A frien of ours who just bought a new Velocity might come too. I talked to Mike W from the forum a while back about meeting us in Winthrop harbor, Hopefully I can get in touch with him. Come on out and play on the big pond Pete!

Thanks Bill, I"ll try to see if we can make that day but we normaly spend it with my parents. Have you heard from rick yet? I've been tring to get in touch with him as well but no answer. Also what model Valocity does your friemd have? They make a geat boat as well.

Pete, I have been leaving messages via phone and e-mail for just about a week now and have recieved no response. Kind of strange I think. Anyway... My friend got the Velocity 260, he had to out do me, that is why he got the 260. I can't wait until we can go side by side, hopefully he won't blow me away too bad, although I know I can take him when the water gets rough.
thumb.gif
I will get back to you as that weekend gets closer for going to Wisconsin, of course, you are already in Wisconsin.

Take care!

Back