• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pitted aluminum rim

keith4216

Have a aluminum rim that is pitted on the inside almost to the point of having pin hole leaks. Thinking of useing jb weld or something to fill pits.
Any ideas on this matter? Buying a new rim is last resort.

I used JB weld to fix a thermostat housing on the crossover of an aluminum intake manifold, so I think it will work for you as long as you get the area clean first.
If it is a large area to be fixed like the whole inside of the wheel, I'd be looking for an epoxy based paint/sealant.

Funny Keith but no keg. When I first looked at your post it was all question marks and diamonds. Some issue with my phone decoding the text I guess.

If it's to the point of having pin hole leaks, I would just use it as a spare.
Did it have slime or something inside?
JB weld doesn't really bond to all metals. I wouldn't trust it.
Save up for a rim and save you some grief down the road.

Is this pitting on the interior of the wheel or the exterior? What do you think of the structural integrity of the casting at this point? Permatex Right Stuff or JB will seal it right up. You can mount the wheel up in a rotatable fixture or even dismount the tire and install the rim back onto the vehicle and spin the wheel while buffing or sanding the rim. One must be careful to not remove much of the existing rim (something about 16 inch tires on a 15 inch rim). To see what kind of reaction is possible from the Significant Other, fill up the fancy soaking tub in the Master Bath and submerge the wheel/tire assembly in the tub to check for leaks. Be ready to dodge and parry. On a personal note, I'm not much into repairing wheels, replacements are cheap compared to flats, towing, and the occasional trip down through the median at breathtaking velocities. Out in shop, there is a picture of a Model T sitting on a large pane of very thick glass. There are four smallish circles at each point where the tires touch the glass when you are looking up from down below in the photograph. Hand written, by my GrandFather, in the lower corner of the photo, it says; You should have the best tires(rims) and brakes that you can afford, at each of these locations.

Its nothing that a new wheel is needed. Seems fix a flat will eat at aluminum. The rim had a little pitting where the fix a flat found the leak on the lip of the rim where the chrome had peeled and become uneven. Just looking for a filler that can be sanded smooth and then coated with a sealer.

Back