• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Replacement SB

Looking at a 22' check with no engine. It was initially set up as a 454 w/ a bravo, but the engine is gone and i am was thinking of dropping a small block in. I am trying to figure out the cost before i buy the boat. would say 4000 cover a mild 350? How much could i expect to go to a 383 stroker? I know summit racing sells them, but most have a disclaimer that they are not for marine use. what would be the most cost effective method. If i am gonna end up putting more than 4k in it i wonder if it worth the hassle...

If the boat had a big Block in it I would stick one back in it. You will only be backing up if you run a small block.

You can not get the torque out of a small block that a big block will produce without spending tons of money. HP is great but a boat needs that torque to back it up.

You will spend twice as much on that small block to get it to hang with a big block in a boat.

Looking at a 22' check with no engine. It was initially set up as a 454 w/ a bravo, but the engine is gone and i am was thinking of dropping a small block in. I am trying to figure out the cost before i buy the boat. would say 4000 cover a mild 350? How much could i expect to go to a 383 stroker? I know summit racing sells them, but most have a disclaimer that they are not for marine use. what would be the most cost effective method. If i am gonna end up putting more than 4k in it i wonder if it worth the hassle...
:devil:
Is the Bravo still intact, or is it gone too? If it's a lightweight 22', you may get away with an Alpha. You might want to trade or sell the bravo and pick up a rebuilt 350/alpha setup if you're bag isn't top end....:thumb:

Of course, I agree with Red - I'm a sucker for grunt and top end, but what do you want the boat to do?

Attachments

• NewPropellerandOutdriveSideV3.jpg
    NewPropellerandOutdriveSideV3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The bravo is still there...the guy has a 468 that needs freshened for 2000 seems kinda high for an engine that needs rebuilt...

as said before, if all the mounts, manifolds, brackets, etc. are there keep a big block in it, will end up being cheaper to keep the big block..Rob

Basically it has no engine, manifolds, etc. Just has a bravo outdrive. Anyone out there have a small block (or big block) they want to get rid of? i would need complete engine assembly.

I would pm this guy and see if he still has this engine he dropped the price big time

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9855

If you do not have anything I would definately go with a big block. Their is no cheap fix for you if you have nothing. Your best bet is to find a take out that has every thing you need. If your trying to piece this hole thing together your lucky to get out around 7000.00 with new parts and rebuilt stock engine.

You need to make a list and figure out what parts and accessories that are missing. It could be cheaper selling your hull and buying another boat.

I have a never run 454/425 gen V big block, std with forged pistons, big rods, square port heads, bronze lined high rise intake, complete from intake to oil pan, $3500, Rob

The only reason i'd go from a BB to a SB is for fuel economy. 2 barrel a 350 and you might pick up a tiny bit of mpg. ;) You'll also lose torque and that is what gets the boat moving out of the hole. A nice mild BB with proper guts and workmanship will treat you right and give plenty of power. That Bravo, keep me in mind if my chance you want to sell. I could be swayed into one when the times right.

thats very true, had 2 friends who bought 26 welcrafts, one was B/B the other small block...that one was a pig and burned more gas trying to cruise at a normal speed...

Back