• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Stainless Props

Roberts Marine

I have accumulated a number of stainless props for Merc. I have a 23" Trophy, a 28" Trophy, a 29" Tempest, a 24" Trophy, a 21" & a 27" Lazer and a 25" Stilleto. I also have a reworked 24" 4 blade 4Trax over hub that used to be my speed prop on my Starflite. Good acceleration and bow lift, not very efficient under 45 mph.
Bob
1-800-268-2409

29 Tempest

I tried calling the number listed, and the non 800 number and both are busy.

I am interested in the subject prop.

Thanks.

I have accumulated a number of stainless props for Merc. I have a 23" Trophy, a 28" Trophy, a 29" Tempest, a 24" Trophy, a 21" & a 27" Lazer and a 25" Stilleto. I also have a reworked 24" 4 blade 4Trax over hub that used to be my speed prop on my Starflite. Good acceleration and bow lift, not very efficient under 45 mph.
Bob
1-800-268-2409

what do you want for the 23 and 24 trophy's? and also the 4blade 4trax? i only want one so give be a break down for each one:thumb:-ross-

The 23" Trophy is new so I need 350 for that. The 24 is used 200. The 4-Trax has some sentimental value. It was my go fast prop on my Starflite. I loved that boat. But that aside, 250.

Ross, I've got a 23P Trophy Plus in good shape and but my new 200 wants a 24P. Bob, If your 24 Trophy is a "Plus" and Ross decides on a 23", maybe we could all work out some way to get everybody happy.

Ross, I've got a 23P Trophy Plus in good shape and but my new 200 wants a 24P. Bob, If your 24 Trophy is a "Plus" and Ross decides on a 23", maybe we could all work out some way to get everybody happy.

i'm running a 23p laser 2 right now and was wondering how much better the 23p trophy would be for my 87 200 merc?

I had a 21" Laser back in the 2 liter days and did not care for it. I also had a 21" Trophy PLus back then (zstevens owns it now) and it was faster than the 21" Laser and turned a couple hundred RPM less. I installed a jack plate and ran away from the 21's. I've always been told that Lasers work best on light boats. My Exciter and a Starflight would not exactly fit that category. My experience is a Trophy Plus in the same pitch would handle better, accelerate quicker, and not cavitate on every twitch of the wheel like the Laser did for me. I really like the TP's, I just need more pitch now.

I had a 21" Laser back in the 2 liter days and did not care for it. I also had a 21" Trophy PLus back then (zstevens owns it now) and it was faster than the 21" Laser and turned a couple hundred RPM less. I installed a jack plate and ran away from the 21's. I've always been told that Lasers work best on light boats. My Exciter and a Starflight would not exactly fit that category. My experience is a Trophy Plus in the same pitch would handle better, accelerate quicker, and not cavitate on every twitch of the wheel like the Laser did for me. I really like the TP's, I just need more pitch now.

how much faster was the trophy plus than the laser? and is it a over/hub prop or not? small shaft?

Small shaft- over the hub. Don't quite recall and exact amount. I only had a water-speedo at the time. Seems like 2-3 mph best I recall. Sorry, my memory is getting old... :)

Both are earlier Trophys. The 24 is a pressed in 1" hub. The 23" has the replacable hub so it can be 1" or 1.25". The 28 is a Trophy Plus. Other than the hub I think the only difference is the replacable vent grommets in the Trophy plus. Since the prop is being used on the larger gearcase V 6 engines the vents are null and void any way because you have a large portion of the exhaust exiting over the hub. My personal opinion is that is why many people feel the Tropy accelerates faster than a Tempest because the engine tachs up faster due to the prop slip from the exhaust gasses. But is the boat actually accelerating faster? I like the Tempest. They have a lot of bite and bow lift, and they are not cavitating as much at lower speeds using expensive gas. But thats just me. As far as the lazers go, I think they are too small for the 3.0L engines. Too much torque, not enough bite. They work great on the smaller engines. As far as speed differences go most people tell me the 4 blade props will run a little slower than a good 3 blade. Extra drag I presume, but most people feel they handle better and accelerate , and hold better and the couple mph. they loose is worth it. Enough for now, I cuold talk about props all day.
Bob

Bob
1-800-268-2409

what prices do you need out of the 27, 28, and 29 pitch props ? and are they 3 or 4 blade ??

Both are earlier Trophys. The 24 is a pressed in 1" hub. The 23" has the replacable hub so it can be 1" or 1.25". The 28 is a Trophy Plus. Other than the hub I think the only difference is the replacable vent grommets in the Trophy plus. Since the prop is being used on the larger gearcase V 6 engines the vents are null and void any way because you have a large portion of the exhaust exiting over the hub. My personal opinion is that is why many people feel the Tropy accelerates faster than a Tempest because the engine tachs up faster due to the prop slip from the exhaust gasses. But is the boat actually accelerating faster? I like the Tempest. They have a lot of bite and bow lift, and they are not cavitating as much at lower speeds using expensive gas. But thats just me. As far as the lazers go, I think they are too small for the 3.0L engines. Too much torque, not enough bite. They work great on the smaller engines. As far as speed differences go most people tell me the 4 blade props will run a little slower than a good 3 blade. Extra drag I presume, but most people feel they handle better and accelerate , and hold better and the couple mph. they loose is worth it. Enough for now, I cuold talk about props all day.
Bob

Bob, I have been told by a few that I would be very happy if I could find a Hoss-Triton prop for my boat... I need a 28 -29 pitch I believe and I can run a spindle mount... ( Know anyone wanting a 2.1 gear set for a large 2.4 Merc Gear case ?? ) I found out the 2.1 gear is the reason I could use a 28 pitch and only get 58mph it had 40-60% slip lol. ( Now I have a 1.87 gear large shaft lower unit to try )

bob- you said that you have a 23tempest in my thread......any pics and will you ship it to my door for that price? i'm interested! thanks-ross-

any recomendations for a s.s. prop for a 17'.8 sportfire with a inboard 170hp four cyl. it has a 14.25 x 21p on it now, mostly used for cruising around and some tubing, thx

Back