• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tom Kane

Tom Kane

Thinking about buying new 24 foot open bow checkmate. Which Merc V8 ( they offer three) 300 hp engines would give me best speed and performance. Considering the 300R. also tge PRO XS. COST FACTOR OF EACH is a factor of purchase. Anyone running the 300 V8 on the 24 foot checkmate now. Best prop, setback and set up to consider. Thank you much.

Hi, I am having a closed deck 2400 Pulsare built with a 300R, and a hydraulic jack plate with 10" of setback. Checkmate is planning on using a Bravo FS prop, and hopes it will turn a 24P. Bravo props run a bit shy of the advertised pitch so I am hoping it will turn a 25P even it it does not get to 6400. It may have to be labbed if it is a 25P but we will find out. People have put a 400R on a BRX and hit over 80 mph and I test drove a BRX at the factory with Dean that had a 400R on it and I believe he said it would run around 76 - 78 mph the way it was set up.

Thinking about buying new 24 foot open bow checkmate. Which Merc V8 ( they offer three) 300 hp engines would give me best speed and performance. Considering the 300R. also tge PRO XS. COST FACTOR OF EACH is a factor of purchase. Anyone running the 300 V8 on the 24 foot checkmate now. Best prop, setback and set up to consider. Thank you much.

300R would be the fastest and the most money,
If you can get one the 300xs would be next and a lot cheaper.
The 300 Verado would be the slowest of the 3 but still a great motor and nice and quiet compared to the 300xs.

The 300 Verado would be the slowest of the 3 but still a great motor and nice and quiet compared to the 300xs.

No more 300 hp two cycle engines I was told. Also, I understand Mercury has a TORK MASTER 2 lower unit out now. It’s better and faster so they said. . Anyone tried it yet? If it is better and faster ad is it a option on the 300 XS pro?

Question I have a quote on the 24 open bow already. I chose the 300 HP PRO XS V8 FOUR cycle. Is the R version of that motor faster. Also, since you already ordered your boat, what is the price difference between the R and the Pro XS. I was NOT aware of the R when I started discussion the order for the boat. Obviously would order the R if it’s faster and does not cost a arm and leg for a couple of MPH.

You can look up the list prices and the dealer prices on the internet. There is a 300, and 300 Pro XS, and 300 Verado V8, and a 300R. The price varies by the shaft length, the lower unit type (torque or Speedmaster), the gear ratio (1.75 is standard but supposedly a 1.60 ratio (should be quicker) is now available. The std. 300 Proxs has a rev limit of 6200 and the 300R is 6400 and I think the standard 300 is 6000 or perhaps 6200. Some have an advanced mid section and or digital controls and that raises the price more. Mercury made this so complicated you can barely figure it out. I think the 300R is not much more than a 300ProXS (perhaps $1000) but check all the internet prices for yourself and then ask Dean or Kip what Checkmate charges you. The rigging price can vary by the engine type since some of them include hydraulic steering and others you have to pay for they hydraulic steering. I choose the 300R because most boats I have owned have never run the advertised speed so I choose the 300R to help me out in the performance dept. I think the additional 200 rpm might be worth 2 - 3 mph under optimal conditions with a slight loss in low end performance. Once I finally get mine, I will let you know how slow it is.

Thank you much. Really do appreciate all your info. Will call Mercury today also Checkmate. I am near placing my order and sure do not want to error regarding the engine choice. How long of wait between the order being placed and getting your boat? One other question. TRAILER. Any used swing back fronts out there. Want to keep it in my garage, room is a factor. Also would buy a good used one. Where did you get yours from?

Tom Kane

The delivery times for a 300R were quite long, but the last time I spoke to Dean at Checkmate they had a couple in stock as well as a 400R, but not sure what they currently have. I have not yet purchased a trailer but Checkmate can get you a trailer and when I shopped around on the internet it appeared that I could save perhaps $200 - $400 on a new trailer (not a swing tongue). Hopefully if you order a boat, they can get the motor you want in the 8 - 12 weeks it might take to build the boat depending on their backlog.

300r

I raced in the P1 superstock power boat series last 2 years. The boats were a 27’ hull specific to that series. We ran the 300 XS in that series and saw a solid 68 to 69 mph. 70 to 72 in best conditions. Prop was a revolution 4 XP 14.6x25.5. And the boats weighed around 3600 lbs. I’m not racing this year but they are using the new 300r. And are faster by about 5 mph with same prop. Not sure on boat weights because the changed the deck and added a canopy. Not sure what your 24 will weigh rigged.but I think the 300r should push it mid to upper seventies with the right prop and set up.

If they have a 400 in stock at Checkmate, go with that if you can, you wont be disappointed. If you don’t you will always wish that you did!

I raced in the P1 superstock power boat series last 2 years. The boats were a 27’ hull specific to that series. We ran the 300 XS in that series and saw a solid 68 to 69 mph. 70 to 72 in best conditions. Prop was a revolution 4 XP 14.6x25.5. And the boats weighed around 3600 lbs. I’m not racing this year but they are using the new 300r. And are faster by about 5 mph with same prop. Not sure on boat weights because the changed the deck and added a canopy. Not sure what your 24 will weigh rigged.but I think the 300r should push it mid to upper seventies with the right prop and set up.

Wasn't your break out speed 70, or was that a different class?

Hi Tom,
I was originally hoping for mid 70's as well since some of the 2400 closed decks that Randy Corson rigged ran mid 70's+ with a 300XS. The ones that Checkmate rigged (BRX) with the same engine ran 70 - 71 according to Dean. So my closed deck will be the first 2400 Checkmate rigs with the 300R and your BRX might be the first one they rig with a 300R (if that is what you select). I think they were finishing a BRX before they started on mine but I don't know what engine will be on that one. They have rigged a BRX with a 400R and I drove it. Some members are seeing slightly over 80 mph with the BRX and a 400R. If is use 24.3 for the pitch of a 25 Bravo FS, I would have to turn it at 6400 with 11% slip to just hit 75 mph. From what I have read the closed deck weighs 2000 bare, + 550 for a 300R, + 100 for 2 batteries + 100 for small items, so say 3000 lbs with only me in it or 3100 with my wife and me, plus at least 200 lbs for a half a tank of fuel so we are up to 3300, not really a light boat. The 400R is at least 100+ lbs heavier but sometimes that improves the balance and does not actually slow you down.

Hi Tom,
I sent a message to Kip today and the 2400 BRX they were working on when I was in the plant is almost completed. It will be rigged with a 300 Pro XS 4 stroke like you were considering. (perhaps this is yours???) They should be testing it soon, so that will be the first with a 300 V8 (not mine) and should give you an idea of what it would run with a Pro XS.

TOM KANE. NO longer looking for a used 24 FT Checkmate. Visited Bucyrus Ohio and the FCTY and ordered a 2020 BRX 24 FT NEW boat. Will have a 300 HP PRO XS MERCURY with a ten inch jack plate HYD. Those things are BEAUTIFUL. Wife and I had a great time at the Fcty and learned a lot. Our host, both the sales staff and also the general mgr were super GREAT, answered all our questions and showed us boats under construction and those being modified. Well worth the trip. Wish I would have ordered a new boat six months ago. BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART.
This will be my 4th checkmate. Loved them all. Did see a red 24 ft open bow
(owned boat) with a 400 hp on the back while there. Great gage package and engine. .
Checkmate can and does modify boats individually for each buyer. Trust me, they will do everything possible to build it EXACTLY the way you want it, what you want on it and where you want it. Great experience.

Congratulations,
Can you share how long the wait for delivery is expected to be on your boat.

Did it look like they had a lot of boats getting built and a bunch of people working or more of a one boat at a time with only a few staff?

Congratulations,
Can you share how long the wait for delivery is expected to be on your boat.

Did it look like they had a lot of boats getting built and a bunch of people working or more of a one boat at a time with only a few staff?

Normal time to build is two months. However, this time of year they are very busy. I was told probably by Oct or end of Sept . Regarding the number of people, there were various people, but truthfully my wife and I were very involved with looking at the 24 foot boat, which was already owned, one under construction, looking at various items used in assembly and going over every detail, discussing engines, cost of them, performance and countless details. There was a 26 foot twin there with twin R, which is a mid 80 mph boat. It was at the Miami show. Very nice. Because of my garage space could not consider it. That thing looked like it could take on all comers. Plus it had a cabin.

Back