• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Towing cover for pulsare 2100br

doelakedog

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure which sub forum to post this. Has anyone had good experience with any 3rd party towing covers? I have the checkmate factory cockpit cover and a custom mooring cover, but not a towing cover. There are various companies like boatcoversdirect that allegedly make them. I have no problem buying another cover, and even replacing it if it wears out... But my cockpit cover won't stay on at highway speeds.

Thanks

I tend to be scared to tow with a full cover on my boat. Unless you get a 100% custom fit cover, you are going to have loose areas and the flapping over a long distance could wear on the gel coat leaving it dull. I always tow with just my cockpit cover on for long distances and just clean my boat whenever I get to my destination. Short distances, I usually don't have any cover on.

Like^^^^ I have a very nice custom tow/morning cover. I only used it once when absolutely HAD to. Trailering covers wear boats out. On the other hand the cover is on there any other time. Once I get where I am going I clean the boat and put the cover on.

That is interesting, I think I will give that a try by first releasing some of the back snaps and protecting the top of the boat from them. That being said, I am still definitely interested to hear whether anyone has had experience with something like http://www.savvyboater.com/carver-semi-custom-boat-cover-74021d

I got a semi-custom Carver cover but I haven't towed with it and not sure that I will (even though they say it's good for trailering). I got it for when the boat is stored for the winter or when it's stationary on the trailer or when it's on the boat lift. It appears to be a well made cover and it fits reasonably well, but I find it to be a little too narrow for my 2000 BRX - it doesn't quite make it below the rub rails around the windshield area (~2" short on each side). Also the sewn in motor cover is challenged to stretch back far enough to cover the motor if you have more than 6" setback. I might just cut the motor cover off mine so it's a separate piece.

That said, the Carver cover might fit better on the 2100 which is 5" narrower than the 2000 BRX. And if you have more than 6" of setback maybe something one size longer would work better.

But like the others that replied, I don't cover the boat when trailering. I figure I can wash off road dirt but I can't wash off physical damage. But that's a much easier decision to make with a full liner and snap-in carpet than it is with carpet glued to a wood-based floor. My old boat had carpet glued to glassed plywood and I just couldn't ignore the dirty road water going inside the boat. So I totally get that too.

Hello everyone,

I agree, not covering the boat is my main desire. My next goal would be to be able to actually use my existing checkmate factory cockpit covers. However, in its current state I would have to stop every 20m to put the snaps back down, and it would beat the stuffing out of it, I'm sure.

I'm actually really looking only to get this cover for the trip to Lake Cumberland as a backup. If it's a clear day, I would definitely not cover my boat. With that being said, it is possible that it will be pouring rain for the entire 15h trip. By the time I get there my boat would be completely soaked and caked in mud. I could dry and clean it at home, but it would be rather uncomfortable for the Lake Cumberland rally.

I'm also sure that I would have to replace the cover after a 15h drive (and back...) if I actually need to use it. If I could get a cover that someone has had decent success with, then if I spend a bunch of time making sure it is tight, modifying it where needed, I think it would make me feel better.

Is it just the snaps are wore out? I used my factory cockpit cover on my 2100 when I had to. It was nice and tight didnt really touch the gel. Water would leak where the windshield meets the hull at the sides, but way better then not covering it.

I tow my Enforcer with the cocpit cover on it. On the old trailer i found that it would start pulling snaps up towing it with the poll in it but if i left the poll out it did ok. Put new snaps on the front and it did fine up to at least 80mph. When i put the boat on the newer trailer it started pulling up snaps again so i tried with the poll back in and it does fine again. Little bit different angle on the trailer made that much difference i guess. Anyway just a thought to maybe try..

Hello everyone,

I agree, not covering the boat is my main desire. My next goal would be to be able to actually use my existing checkmate factory cockpit covers. However, in its current state I would have to stop every 20m to put the snaps back down, and it would beat the stuffing out of it, I'm sure.

I'm actually really looking only to get this cover for the trip to Lake Cumberland as a backup. If it's a clear day, I would definitely not cover my boat. With that being said, it is possible that it will be pouring rain for the entire 15h trip. By the time I get there my boat would be completely soaked and caked in mud. I could dry and clean it at home, but it would be rather uncomfortable for the Lake Cumberland rally.

I'm also sure that I would have to replace the cover after a 15h drive (and back...) if I actually need to use it. If I could get a cover that someone has had decent success with, then if I spend a bunch of time making sure it is tight, modifying it where needed, I think it would make me feel better.

I did that on my last boat ... bought a semi-custom cover then took it (and the boat) to a local upholstery shop to have it modified to fit the boat better. It actually worked out very well and was a nice tight fit when she was done with it. The cover was $300 and I think she charged me around $100 to modify it. She tightened it up around the windshield and put in a boot to go over my fixed waterski pole (which did well to hold the cover in a tent shape to shed water). A custom cover made from scratch would have been $700+. I trailered with that maybe a dozen or so times over 10 years and it didn't cause any damage.

I'm sure it would flap a little, but I only had my cockpit cover on when I towed it home. I don't have the straps as tight as they could go but it's just sitting behind my shop right now. I will probably keep it in my truck when we head to LC just in case we need it.

I have a full cover for mine from Carver. I used the strap kit and some extra ropes when I towed upstate in the rain a couple of years back. Even though I thought I had it down tight it still scratched the gel in a few spots. :(

I have a full cover for mine from Carver. I used the strap kit and some extra ropes when I towed upstate in the rain a couple of years back. Even though I thought I had it down tight it still scratched the gel in a few spots. :(

That's my biggest fear. I would be putting the cockpit cover on underneath. Despite that, I will definitely take it on shorter nearby trips and drive around it with a second car on the road to see where it needs additional attention. I am not sure that would be sufficient

If you guys have covers made, I suggest having any acrylic or polyester fabric backed with a soft side material where it makes contact with the gel coat. These picture are not very good, but I backed Sunbrella with a soft side polyester. I haven't gone more than 20 miles with this so far. Fingers crossed.

jpg.gif
IMG_5782.jpg

jpg.gif
IMG_5780.jpg (

Attachments

• IMG_5782.jpg
    IMG_5782.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 19
That's my biggest fear. I would be putting the cockpit cover on underneath. Despite that, I will definitely take it on shorter nearby trips and drive around it with a second car on the road to see where it needs additional attention. I am not sure that would be sufficient

If your cockpit cover is made of Sunbrella do not put another cover over it. Sunbrella is a great fabric but does not stand abrasion very well. I have repaired many covers that were worn through because owners would tarp over Sunbrella for outdoor winter storage.

Car wrap or something like it actually sounds like a pretty good idea overall. Good point about the sunbrella.. I am not sure of the materials, but it is a very good point

Back