• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Trade my Pulsare for a 280??

The new Verado is also a V8 with the AMS and it is much quieter than the 300R. What I meant is if you already had the Supercharged 300 Verado on the boat, I would not upgrade it with a 300R unless I had to buy a new engine. If I had to buy a new engine, I personally would buy the 400R now that I own a 300R. The 300R has some nice features but I doubt it is any faster than the 300XS 2 stroke (at least from my experience). The people that put the 400R on the boat are going around 10 mph faster than the 300R or the two stroke 300.

Was talking about the OPs older 300 Verado, not the new one. The new Verado would be a poor choice too because of the sloppy mid section.

The 300R weight advantage is key on that boat. The 400 might about 7 or 8 mph faster than the R, but wouldn't drive and handle nearly as well. The R is about 2 to 3 mph faster than the XS on most hulls.

The 2400 is a great boat, but it's not the fastest,and the hull is good, but doesn't have a real pad, and doesn't get the lift a really fast hull has. Getting mid 70s out of a 300R would be great on a family hauler. Spending more for 5-7 MPH for an older tech outboard that is 200 lbs more wouldn't be worth it it me.

The 2400 really is a beautiful looking boat though. And quite unique in the market. Shame it's not made anymore.

I will 2nd that comment on the Bravo XS. I tried 5 props, the 24 Bravo 1 FS ran 72 mph at 6200 rpm, 8% slip at WOT. Lots of bow lift (actually more than you need.) Also tried a 26P Bravo 1. What they say about the diffuser ring is true. It came on the plane much faster than the 24P Bravo FS due to the stern lift. It was the easiest to drive with no chine walk at all because the bow was not as high up. The 26P Bravo 1 ran 70 mph at 5800 rpm, 12% slip at WOT. I had to run the jack plate lower to keep the slip down. If I could get that prop labbed and turn 6200 at the same slip we would be running 75 mph with very good handling. Tall order to gain 400 rpm from labbing. The other option is to get a 25 Bravo 1 FS and get it labbed. Possibly gain 300 rpm from labbing and lose 150 rpm for the additional 1" of pitch. At identical 8% slip that would be at least 76+mph. All that is wishful thinking based on theoretical math.

I will 2nd that comment on the Bravo XS. I tried 5 props, the 24 Bravo 1 FS ran 72 mph at 6200 rpm, 8% slip at WOT. Lots of bow lift (actually more than you need.) Also tried a 26P Bravo 1. What they say about the diffuser ring is true. It came on the plane much faster than the 24P Bravo FS due to the stern lift. It was the easiest to drive with no chine walk at all because the bow was not as high up. The 26P Bravo 1 ran 70 mph at 5800 rpm, 12% slip at WOT. I had to run the jack plate lower to keep the slip down. If I could get that prop labbed and turn 6200 at the same slip we would be running 75 mph with very good handling. Tall order to gain 400 rpm from labbing. The other option is to get a 25 Bravo 1 FS and get it labbed. Possibly gain 300 rpm from labbing and lose 150 rpm for the additional 1" of pitch. At identical 8% slip that would be at least 76+mph. All that is wishful thinking based on theoretical math.
Opps, math error in my post above. A 25P would reduce the rpm to 5950 most likely (250 rpm drop, not 150). So i would gain closer to 1 mph unless the lab job provided more rpm.
So I would have to buy a 24.5P FS and lab it to gain 300 and that should theoretically run slightly over 75 mph. Of course with my luck none of these theoretical things ever work like you want them to.

Back