• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Vintage Boston Whaler fiberglass boats

L115

Even though this a Checkmate website, the title of this section says "Non-Checkmate Vintage boats", so since you asked, here goes!

These are two vintage Whalers I have picked up over the 9 years, what many would call "barn finds". Just dumb luck on my part, and being at the right place at the right time.

1971 Outrage 21, w/twin 115 Merc towers. This is the original Boston Whaler Outrage, the boat that began the series: (hit the "refresh" button to bring in all photos on both links - Photobucket has gotten weird these days)

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/use...rage 21?&_suid=136123648648009966746230046645

1975 Outrage 19, w/1988 Merc 150:

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/use...trage 19?&_suid=13612366847050592021558314165

Both are all original gelcoat, no bottom paint. I did all the teak brightwork, and put new trailers under them. I won't bore you with other details, but if anybody is interested, post and I will respond.

Cool boats there, the one with the twins has an interesting hull. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Both are very nice boats! I mentioned it in the thread about your engine/electrical issues, but my first boat was a 13 whaler.:cheers:

Thanks to all

I appreciate the comments.

Regarding the comment about the 21 having an "interesting hull", this model, only made for 2 years and 720 hulls in total, was the original Boston Whaler Outrage. As a matter of fact, when the first prototype was shown to Whaler's canvas designer, he was asked what he thought of the boat (remember this is 1970 and it was a pretty wild look for those days), and the guy said with those ribs down the sides, "I think it's outrageous". The Whaler founder said, "that's it, I'll call it an Outrage."

My first Boston Whaler was also a 13, all I could afford at the time. I bought it used in 1968, with no engine and a10 year old rusted out painted trailer, for $300. It was 1958 hull #110, which I later found out was the 11th Boston Whaler ever made, since the first one was #100. After two years, I put a 1970 Merc 4-cylinder 50 on it, and it was squirrely fast. Wish I still owned it. Guess I'm giving away my age!

Back