• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

When does a fast boat....

My Trimate II does 55-56mph and thats fine with me, and thats with the max hp of 150hp . I hit a huge wave last summer with my mate and it scared me lol . My brother was behind me and and said my mate was atleast 3ft out of the water . When the boat came back down my knees smoked the dash and I thought I was going thru the windshield . The lake was just alittle to rough that day just to many boats out .

STV's and Mirages's are two very different boats. A STV runs very close to flat at speed, whereas all the Mirage's I ever seen run very bow high. That said any boat can go crazy when pushed beyound the limits!

I like going fast but small, light pickleforks just scare me. I have seen and heard of enough of them going azz over tea kettle when they catch a wave or a wrong gust of wind. I know a v-hull is not nearly as fast but they certainly feel more secure. Every hull has it's limits...its just knowing when you are at it is the difficulty. I love boats that you would describe as a "driver's" boat with that on the edge feeling but I also like the security of a heavy high sided v-hull that cuts through the big waves.

I agree with you Chris. When I started boating and not too awful long ago a 200HP engine was a big deal and a speed boat that ran in the 60's was hauling a$$, other than a few Hydrostream nuts.(and they were blowing over alot) Now a 250HP is average and look at all the boats on here that have 300's, these motors put the boats at a hole diffrent entry level capabilities.
Snowmobiling has got to be some of the more dangerous sports and I feal a large part of that is due to the sleds run way too damn fast. I have a freind that has bean riding for 30+ years and is a very good aggresive rider. Last year he got a new sled, 800 Ski-Doo over his old 600's and it has just too much power, he crashed late in the season on a trail he has rode a 1000 times, came over a rise on the throttle and with soo much power he caried the skies and went off the trail, the rest was history. He did survive. But the sled is so light and powerfull it will just take off at the flick of the throttle.
Newer high horse power boats can have some same problems, it is so easy to run above the conditions and expieriance levels that the danger levels are higher. Add some alcohol, adrenaline and testostarone and all common sense and safety goes out the roost.
I have done alot of set-up modifications to get the most out of my Starflight and it worked, the draw back is it left some driveability problems and dosent ski as well. This summer I am going to detune the top speed in an effort to get back what I do most, cruis and ski. So it only runs 67 instead of 72 as long as its still the coolest looking boat on the lake I'm good with that.

Back