• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

"Wanted" WTB Trophy Plus 21p

rover1225

Yes, it's just a lil prop...not like you big boys...but I will pass you at the pump as you fill er up again...89 Starlfite with a 150XR that'll run all day long on a tank and pull the tube, the skiers, carry the dog, kids, wife and her twins :eyecrazy::eyecrazy::thumb:

Have the same prop on my 91 Starliner and love it. Unfortunately my 2.5 280 can burn thru 30 gallons in about 4 hrs of skiing/tubing. Probably twice yours..and it's not even an inboard. Guys like you, and one's with Opti's, will be running while everyone else is sitting.

Not looking forward to $5.00/g plus premium this summer!!

It's pretty much the same boat from what I understand? A 21p with a 280hp engine? you must be turning close to 6,000rpm I would guess, from what I have been reading. My goal is to turn this prop at about 5100.....I figure it'll save a bit on gas, still have a great hole shot, and by keeping the rev's down a bit save the powerhead from some wear.....well, that my theory anyhow!

It sounds like its his tubing/skiing prop. I turn 6000 with a 24 on my 200. I've been told that a 4 blade is not the way to go for fuel economy. More blades = more drag.

It's pretty much the same boat from what I understand? A 21p with a 280hp engine? you must be turning close to 6,000rpm I would guess, from what I have been reading. My goal is to turn this prop at about 5100.....I figure it'll save a bit on gas, still have a great hole shot, and by keeping the rev's down a bit save the powerhead from some wear.....well, that my theory anyhow!

Actually it turns 7750 on limiter real easy. You want to prop the motor so it'll run to full recommended RPM..probably around 5700 or so on yours? Then just be easy on it and run it 5100 if you like.

Don't put too big a prop on it where it only runs up to 5100, you'll actually do more harm with detonation, not to mention if you get a bad slug of gas.

Too accomplish what you want, I'd actually start with a 19 Trophy Plus with that motor on a Starflight and the weight you're carrying. It'll run to your redline, but just don't take it there if you choose not to. You'll be nicer on your engine and most full efficient. Probably a top end of low 50's, but who cares if above is your goal.
:cheers:

I can deal on a 21P Tempest +. They're good props. As long as you don't run the motor real high it will probably get you what you're after (since you're not going after numbers anyway). Some folks have had cavitation problems in turns with the tempest+, but only when they're running real high on the jack plate. I run one on my Pulsare with 150 Opti and it pulls hard and scoots just fine. Lemme know.

Yes by all means prop it to the max RPM for the motor! Lugging it by over propping is not going to help your fuel economy or anything else.

That said I may have a 21P for sale after I get my Etecs swapped on my Pulse. Just won't know though till mid April at earliest. I agree with BagMan, 19P is where to start if specifically wanting a Trophy Plus.

Thanks all for the replies. I am running a generic 19 3 blade SS now, so by my calculations, if I am running at 6,00 and the suggested WOT is 5,500 for the motor, I need to knock the RPM's down (and 5,100 isn't exactly lugging it). SO add another blade to the three blade prop is a -250 rpm, add two inches in pitch -150 rpm for each inch.

My math works out to be current RPM of 6,000 -(250+150+150) = 5,450rpm with a Trophy+ 21p?

Am I all wet , or is this correct?

Thanks all for the replies. I am running a generic 19 3 blade SS now, so by my calculations, if I am running at 6,00 and the suggested WOT is 5,500 for the motor, I need to knock the RPM's down (and 5,100 isn't exactly lugging it). SO add another blade to the three blade prop is a -250 rpm, add two inches in pitch -150 rpm for each inch.

My math works out to be current RPM of 6,000 -(250+150+150) = 5,450rpm with a Trophy+ 21p?

Am I all wet , or is this correct?

The 19 Trophy will be right based on your 3 blade. It'll be proped for WOT with 4 blades.

Forget about the calculations. If I were to have used them on my set-up,
I'd have been running like a 28. Thank goodness the members around here saved me before I wasted my $$!! That 2.4/2.5 needs to spin. JMO

Hi Five

I have have run Lazer's, Trophy's, Mirage, and Hi-five's on different boats and hands down the best all round (when water sports enter in!!!), is the Hi-Five. Smaller blades that will let the 150 get going quicker out of the hole, holds great in corners and will not blow out tubing. Try a 21"

5100 would be lugging a V6 Merc if that is all it could turn. You will be happier and so will the motor if you prop it 5700 - 6000. The hole shot will be much better too.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Well, unfortunately, the motor is spec'd for 5600 rev limit, so if I run it to 5700 or 6000 as you suggest, I am a little concerned.....

Well, unfortunately, the motor is spec'd for 5600 rev limit, so if I run it to 5700 or 6000 as you suggest, I am a little concerned.....

Harder on 2stroke engine to lug it at the bottom of a RPM range then at the top or slightly above. Are you sure your tach is accurate?

I believe he is referring to post #8 where you said you were turning "6,00" which we're assuming was supposed to be 6000. If that reading is inaccurate then its impossible to accurately choose a prop. Personally, I agree that you wont be saving gas by over propping and if fuel economy is top priority, a 4 blade is probably not he best choice anyway.

Back