• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Advice on buying a 2002 Convincor 260

I have herd a lot of people having good luck with them. I have seen the failure end too.
Take good care of them is the way to make anything last.

if i had a choice i would rather have a 502 W/O the cat, but the 496 has been around since 2002, was not really much of a choice if you bought a new boat in that time frame ..the blue motors are the way to go but you know the price increase for those. MKHAMMER thanks for your input im sure you forgot more than i will ever know about engines:cheers:

got to thinking when i read this post ...a 260 convincor?? i think in 2002 the 270 convincor was being built. my guess its pretty much the 253/259 series with the added bolted on swim platform included. so it appears in the pics to be a 270. at least i think

I think Big Red said the 260 is the old 242 with the swim platform counted.

if i had a choice i would rather have a 502 W/O the cat, but the 496 has been around since 2002, was not really much of a choice if you bought a new boat in that time frame ..the blue motors are the way to go but you know the price increase for those. MKHAMMER thanks for your input im sure you forgot more than i will ever know about engines:cheers:

Your right they were the only big block offering in those years besides the blue engines. Mercury had to follow what the could get there hands on from GM. It doesen't seem fair to the 496 owners that they went back to the conventional 502 but I'm glad they did. The stock 496 success stories are coming out but it's only a matter of time. I guess I see the ones were people tried to modify and hop up. I always said they aren't a bad engine just though to deal with when they do fail. limited parts and more expensive, different design. List on plug wires alone are $875.00 for OEM, hope you guys don't need any of those. If so I have better after market replacements for less
I would have liked to have seen them base the 496 on a 454 Gen VI block with a 4.250 arm in it, but they didn't.

Reactions: jln
I think Big Red said the 260 is the old 242 with the swim platform counted.
i think the 242 hull may have turned into a ZT260 ?, but the red boat in the pics looks more like a 253/259 convincor. maybe Big Red will see this and chime in.

Attachments

• th_CHECKMATE.jpg
    th_CHECKMATE.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 6
  • th_CKMATE260012.jpg
    th_CKMATE260012.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 9
The ZT is a different boat all together. It has the molded in platform where the convincors have the bolt on ones. 242=260 259=270

The ZT is a different boat all together. It has the molded in platform where the convincors have the bolt on ones. 242=260 259=270
what year did they stop building the 242. i was thinking that maybe the hull of the 242 not the deck was used to create the ZT260. never heard a 242 called a convincor 260 i thought the 242s had a unique style scallop air intake. no big deal just curious. does not take much to confuse me.

i just checked on NADA and they do list a 260 convincor for 2002. so i guess it exists. thanks guys.

I know for a fact that the 242 did not turn into anything but a 260. Thats the mystery question jln what year did the 242 turn into the 260. Or for that matter what year did Checkmate start counting the swim platform as footage. I am thinking somewhere around 99 when this happened. A lot of people dont know this. But you get more boat pre 99 than you do after 99

Checkmate was not doing wrong, they started doing it because all the other boat companies were counting the platform as footage. I think the 300 might be the old 28 mold.

Reactions: jln
Back