• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

73 MX-16 resto/mod, 1 broke high school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWO steps forward and one step back

Started out the day today bolting together all the interior pieces. I wanted to assemble it before I covered it to check for any problems, and lay out my side panels with controls. Here is the front console. It will go in as one piece and bolt to 2x2s that I will laminate to the floor. The holes in the front are for access to the mounts and also to keep air moving under it. I'm planning a simple stereo with ipod port and volume control under the center door. The amp will mount underneath. I also put a tray in it as a glove box. I glassed over the old one in the dash. The passenger seat still needs some reworking.
picture.php

picture.php

Here it's in the boat and you can see that I made a recess for the fire extinguisher.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I put holes where they wouldn't be seen, for ventilation, and made sure there are no corners where water can get trapped. Everything is covered with epoxy front and back. There are no nails or screws holding the wood together and I embedded the stainless screws to mount the the hardware and cup holder face plate. Once I get the side panels fitted, I'll take it all apart for upholstery. I'm going to try marine cabinet latches to hold the cooler cover in place. I'm trying to build this so that all the attaching hardware will be concealed. Right now the entire interior weighs 77 lbs.
So here is the bad news. I went into the attic of my barn to get the windshield that I haven't seen in two years and discovered that the one inch crack that it had when I put it there is now about 8 inches. I have another windshield from my 72 but it is a different style and will not bolt to the holes in this boat. I know they are hard to find in good shape. I'll be doing some research on forming a new one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
picture.php

How did it come out? I like the clamps you made. I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my mx 16. As you did I'm reading alot of info from those who have done this before and hoping I do it right as this is my first transom rebuild. Did you run into any issues I should look out for?

How did it come out? I like the clamps you made. I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my mx 16. As you did I'm reading alot of info from those who have done this before and hoping I do it right as this is my first transom rebuild. Did you run into any issues I should look out for?
I think it's coming out OK. The proof will be pounding through 4 foot chop with 5" set back and not losing the motor:eyecrazy: I think the only thing I would do differently is that I read that mat sticks to wood the best. But after I started others informed me that it doesn't like epoxy. Since then I am only using woven. I have also switched to System Three epoxy. A bit of a savings over West Systems but the pumps are a bit messier. Feel free to PM me as you go. I'm no expert but I'll share my experience. :cheers:

im serious...no torch.I have one and have used it on atv fenders,kayaks ect.
Hmmm. now you got me thinking. I wonder how well it would sand and buff out . Have you ever used it on acrylic? I've been in touch with these folks http://www.updplastics.com/ They have the form for my 73 MX-16 and will make one for $375. Maybe I'll run it without a windshield until my wife gets tired of having her hair blown around and gives me the money:)

Thats not a bad price! i will go out later and get you info from my plastic welder.ive even used it to weld starboard together,seams on vinyl rubrail ect .never tried it on plexi yet.

Hmmm. now you got me thinking. I wonder how well it would sand and buff out . Have you ever used it on acrylic? I've been in touch with these folks http://www.updplastics.com/ They have the form for my 73 MX-16 and will make one for $375. Maybe I'll run it without a windshield until my wife gets tired of having her hair blown around and gives me the money:)

Just wanted to say great job... boat really looks nice . I was going to keep my windshield on but after seeing it for so long with out it I left it off . I filled in all the holes just so I couldnt put it back on lol. The boat just look s sharp and fast with out it . But that is just my opinion . Im sure what ever you choose to do will look great ..... keep up the good work ... Will

I was going to keep my windshield on but after seeing it for so long with out it I left it off . I filled in all the holes just so I couldnt put it back on lol. The boat just look s sharp and fast with out it .

Thanks Will, I agree it does look good without. As for me, if I don't work some creature comforts into this boat my family (wife and two girls) will just complain about tangled hair and I'll be selling it in a couple of years. I do wish I had filled in the holes, that way I could use the windshield off my 72. Someone did a real nice job of cutting it down. Hang on to that windshield Will, you may want it someday. Mark

I wanted to make some modern looking speaker enclosures so here is what I came up with. I stole a plastic pitcher from my wife and cut it diagonally. (don't tell her) Then I cut a 1/4" ring to fit the perimeter and a 1/2" by 6" mounting circle. I wrapped the cut pitcher with plastic wrap and screwed the the mounting circle to the end. I then glassed it all up. After it cured I backed the screws out and popped the pitcher out. I laid up the second one tonight. These will get covered and mounted to the back of the side panels near the back seats. Maybe Paul can help me weld the pitcher back together before my wife finds out. :rof:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can't keep my hands out of the goo these days. This panel will also get covered, attach behind the side panel to strengthen the control box and cover the exposed cables. I'm getting close to having the structural phase of the interior done;) I think
picture.php

I like the speaker enclosures. Are you going to port them to relieve the back pressure. Some glass insulation may help the sound quality also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back