• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

73 MX-16 resto/mod, 1 broke high school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
roll over

Rolled her back over today. All my available friend have weak backs so I devised a way to do it on my own. Here are some pics.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

splash well

I put the deck back on Sunday and have started to re-work the splash well. I figured I don't need the clearance for controls because I'm using a 5" jack-plate. The two MX-16 I have both had transom rot around the splash well drains. Cutting the well also allowed room for knee braces. Once I put the deck on I decided to cut the well a bit farther. You can see the black line in the photo.
picture.php

I fashioned a form by gluing a trash bag to 2" styrofoam sanded and shaped to the contour I wanted.
picture.php

Here is a shot after a couple layers of glass
picture.php

The form popped right out and today I started the hours of body filler and sanding to make it look right.

After countless hours of sanding and filling I got the new splash well pretty well shaped the way I want it. Here is a shot before primer and one from underneath.
picture.php

picture.php

I shot some epoxy primer on it today. Now I'll switch to micro filler and deal with the minor stuff, prime again, finish sand, then finally put some color on.
picture.php

picture.php

Here's a shot of the trailer with the finishing touch, baby moons. I bought new tires for my van and my tire guy threw in these almost new tires for the trailer. I would have gone for white walls but free is free.
picture.php

I remeber when mine was at the stage . Im glad all the sanding and painting are finally done on mine ... Looking good though keep up the good work :thumb:

Hours of filling little dings and scratches. I didn't get them all but it's probably smoother than it was out of the factory. I gave it two coats of epoxy primer yesterday and spent the entire day today wet sanding. I started with 320 and finished with 400. Algrip lays down really nicely but once it's down that's it. You can't sand and buff it so I've found that getting a flat surface is important. Here is a shot of the transom. The color will be off white down to the green tape with a 1/4 inch strip on the border bending into the center racing strip.
picture.php

I'm going to be more careful to keep dust off the surface when I finish coat the deck. The hull picked up some dust that can be seen in direct sun. I haven't seen it since I flipped the boat back right side up so I'm hoping it wont be to noticeable. Here is a shot of my $5 filtration system and a shot of the deck ready for color. I hope to cover up this grey in the evenings this week.:)
picture.php

picture.php

Warning

Do not use a tack rag with Algrip paint. FISH EYES:eyecrazy: Back to sanding tomorrow night. Some days you get the bear, and some days..... Oh crap:pissed:

Re-shot the deck with orange over the weekend and started to lay out the stripe design. I'm still not totally happy with the dust in the finish. If I live long enough to restore my other MX-16 I think I will use a paint that I can sand And buff. I'm learning how hard it is to pull pin-strip tape and get a smooth radius. After I shot this picture of the tape on the deck I pulled it off and started over. I am getting better though. I'm hoping to get it ready so that I can shoot the off white this weekend. I also learned that the raised relief on the deck is not exactly centered. I have to fudge my lines a bit to make them look symmetrical.
Any way, here's a couple of picks for ya'll.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks good to me from the pictures.:thumb: I've tried painting with interlux products that didn't work out to well. I agree with you it's easier to use paint that you can sand and buff.:thumb:

Coming along nicely.
Your stripes made me think of 2 things that could help you.
A thinner fine line tape will be easier to make those tight turns with and
Get one side how you want it then copy a pattern over it and flip it over for the other side.

Oh and many of our boats have fudged lines from the factory to please the eye!

Ta Da!!! I went into my shop at 5AM this morning and pulled tape and unwrapped my completed paint job. I wouldn't park it next to a Mitcher T job, but overall I'm pleased. My goal was to get the paint work finished before the cold weather crept in. SUCCESS! Thanks to all of you that have encouraged me.:bigthumb:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks great to me!:thumb:You did a fine job! I think the splash well idea im going to borrow from you...i need somthing now that ive got a set back on mine.Was kinda scarey before i put it on ,now ive got to pay attention! lol

Beautiful

Redstart My Friend You did a Beautiful Job. You should be very Proud of Your MX-16 Checkmate. I Hope You have Many Years of Boating Pleasure out of this Checkmate. Have a Great Sunday and Best Wishes Always Your Friend Sammie Action Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back