• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Hope to buy a new or used Pulsare 2400 BRX

Baysville

Just wanted to introduce myself.....glad to have found this forum.

I am on Lake of Bays in Ontario, Canada and have begun looking for a new or used 2400 BRX.

I have had a short conversation with Peter Roberts at Double R Performance around Barrie who is Checkmate dealer in our area.

He said if I put down a 1/3 deposit now I may get a Pulsare built for the 2022 boating season but he also said no guarantees and that it might be 2023 before I would get one. $100,000USD for the package including the 300 Optimax any other options extra plus 13%HST....so around $150,000 CAD give or take for boat.

Canadian dollar is getting closer to par with USD which helps a bit.

So looking for used too but have heard they don't come up for sale often.

Cheers

Just wanted to introduce myself.....glad to have found this forum.

I am on Lake of Bays in Ontario, Canada and have begun looking for a new or used 2400 BRX.

I have had a short conversation with Peter Roberts at Double R Performance around Barrie who is Checkmate dealer in our area.

He said if I put down a 1/3 deposit now I may get a Pulsare built for the 2022 boating season but he also said no guarantees and that it might be 2023 before I would get one. $100,000USD for the package including the 300 Optimax any other options extra plus 13%HST....so around $150,000 CAD give or take for boat.

Canadian dollar is getting closer to par with USD which helps a bit.

So looking for used too but have heard they don't come up for sale often.

Cheers
Hi, I don't think you can get an Optimax any longer since they quit making new ones. I have the 2nd last 2400 built in Bucyrus with a 300R and my friend Tom has the last 2400 BRX built in Bucyrus and his has a 300R as well. He might consider selling his in a year or so from now and I sent your comments on to him.

Thanks Glenn....yeah I must have misunderstood the Mercury engine Peter said...he recommended the 300 for size then said anything larger than a 300 prices the boat out of its category ...any help finding a used 2400 BRX would be much appreciated 😊

Thanks Glenn....yeah I must have misunderstood the Mercury engine Peter said...he recommended the 300 for size then said anything larger than a 300 prices the boat out of its category ...any help finding a used 2400 BRX would be much appreciated 😊
No problem, easy to do. Many years ago I lived on Trout Lake in North bay Ontario. Back then I admired the HydroStreams and Checkmates but of course could not afford one. I live on Lake Keowee, SC today, and it obviously does not freeze.

Just a question. If you are really in for $150,000 CDN, could you not buy a Tuff 24 (Canadian built boat from Cambridge, Ont) with a 300R for the same amount or less? It is a much faster boat, (100+mph) and better built but the lead times might be as long.

Agreed, while I like checkmate boats for that money you can get a Tuff or a Progression. No way I'd choose a checkmate over these.

I love the Tuff boats but the 24’ Tuff is an apples and oranges comparison to the Pulsare BRX. i don’t think to many Tuff owners load up 4 adults and a couple of kids and go tubing/skiing for the afternoon.

It’s crazy to realize that a 24’single OB is north of 100K nowadays.........

Last edited:
I love the Tuff boats but I think a 24’ Tuff is an apples and oranges comparison to the Pulsare BRX. i don’t think to many Tuff owners load up 4 adults and a couple of kids and go tubing/skiing for the afternoon.

It’s crazy to realize that a 24’single OB is north of 100K nowadays.........
Agree...want a boat that has nice lines, can carry at least 6 people comfortably (need bow rider) with an outboard that is quick but not necessarily fast.

Forgot the BRX detail, Tuff doesn't make a bowrider, Progression might as they are a custom builder.

Checkmate pricing is ridiculous, over $100,000 for a 24 BRX? good luck with that.

I missed the BRX detail, Tuff doesn't make a bowrider, Progression might as they are a custom builder.

Checkmate pricing is ridiculous, over $100,000 for a 24 BRX? good luck with that.
Agree..pricey...everything from real estate, vehicles to recreational toys seem to be expensive...at least in Canada...you have to pay to play I guess

There was a time Checkmate was affordably priced and still well made. I get that prices go up but there is reasonable and then there is excessive.

I'd keep looking for a good use one.

You have to give some (dis)credit to Mercury, too. I believe the 300R is 27-30Kish? I paid roughly 10K less for a new 300X. But people are lined up to buy them....

motor prices are also getting up there but even then that puts the BRX over $70,000 without any extras, I don't see a huge market at that price.

Reactions: SCT
I paid $70k for my new 2400 w/300 pro Verado & trailer in 2014, tack on an extra $15k for the 400r upgrade in 2015. It seems like pricing is relatable to todays cost imo.

I think they got rid of most or all of the wood and are now using all composite materials in the construction, that extra quality adds cost and delivers real value to the customer.

I think they got rid of most or all of the wood and are now using all composite materials in the construction, that extra quality adds cost and delivers real value to the customer.
Yes that certainly adds value. There are many boat builders to day that do not use wood and it certainly is a feature that appeals to me and certainly makes a used boat more desirable as well. I think since at least 2015,or earlier, most of us who purchased Checkmates, purchased them direct from the factory like I did mine. Today, there is a dealer in the mix, who adds their profit to the price as well. I guess you have to compare them to other offerings like the Nordic 25, Tuff 24, Stingray 225, and others, and compare value to your criteria. If I had to pay $90K for a new 24ft Pulsare, that is a lot of money, at least for me, and I would certainly consider all options available carefully.

We have some things going on which include discussion of whether we sell the current boat. I'll know more in a couple months and will gladly let you know if we are headed in that direction.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of the new boats built since Caldwell took over as they've made some tweaks and I'd like to know their thoughts.
Glenn, I keep an eye out for your boat when we are down at Keowee - what area of the lake are you in? We have friends in the Frenge Branch area we stay with a couple times each year. We'll be down again the week of July 4th and I'd love to see your boat. If you are out and about they have a blue Centurion 257 surf boat (I know, I know).
Joel

We have some things going on which include discussion of whether we sell the current boat. I'll know more in a couple months and will gladly let you know if we are headed in that direction.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of the new boats built since Caldwell took over as they've made some tweaks and I'd like to know their thoughts.
Glenn, I keep an eye out for your boat when we are down at Keowee - what area of the lake are you in? We have friends in the Frenge Branch area we stay with a couple times each year. We'll be down again the week of July 4th and I'd love to see your boat. If you are out and about they have a blue Centurion 257 surf boat (I know, I know).
Joel
That is not even 5 minutes from our home via boat. Go North and stay on the left shore, it is a few small coves up the lake from Frenge Branch. We live in the Harbor Oaks subdivision. I doubt I would take my boat out on the July 4th weekend, but you are welcome to look at it. Once you get to our cove there will be two homes adjacent homes where both docks have a special silver colored boat cover that hangs from the boat dock roof. You will know which one is the Checkmate by the shape of the cover.

So is this one not legit?

So is this one not legit?

I think it is legit, but you have to order it from the dealer and the price appears to be $90,000 with a 300R and trailer if I read everything correctly. They might give you a bit off that price. Not sure how long you would have to wait for the boat to be built. (in other words how many there are ahead of this order in the production line). If you are interested, call them and see what they say.

Back