• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bought 23" Checkmate..... and it needs a new engine :(

AlphabetNYC

I bought this gorgeous 1991 Checkmate Maxxum with a 350 Mercruiser I/O for $11k site unseen, stuck it in the water and she powered right up... for about an hour. Then I blew something in the engine and it started spraying oil.

I took it to a local marina and the mechanic - a guy with a good reputation - said he thought it might be the front seal. Well, he came back and said there wasn't any compression and the best thing to do is to just replace the entire engine. Which would be another 11 - 13k for just the motor... if he could find one, which he can't.

Does anyone have any thoughts? The thing that's killing me is going through all this and maybe not even getting to use it this season.

Would really appreciate any ideas!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 9.19.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 9.19.53 PM.png
    860.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Checkmate.jpeg
    Checkmate.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    730.8 KB · Views: 27
There are a lot more knowledgeable people on this board than me but 11-13K sounds VERY high for a 350’ replacement motor. Nice looking boat, though-

There are a lot more knowledgeable people on this board than me but 11-13K sounds VERY high for a 350’ replacement motor. Nice looking boat, though-
That price would have to be for a bobtail ready to drop in with all accessories. Long block should be about half that.

-Craig

Reactions: SCT
How many hours on the engine? Does the engine still turn over with the starter, or is it seized? I recommend finding out which cylinders don’t have compression. I have a hard time believing that all 8 cylinders don’t have compression, unless the crankshaft broke in half. A damaged valve can cause a cylinder to lose compression. Cylinder heads can be rebuilt by a reputable engine shop. A broken piston ring can cause a loss in compression. The engine can be rebuilt for drastically less than you are being quoted for an entirely new engine.

Sounds like the winter storm in Texas wiped out a lot of inventory this year caused shortages. As others have said figure out the exact problems with yours first. Should be a fairly easy swap for a long block worst case. A 350 really should not cost that much. For example-

Good luck.

Sounds like the winter storm in Texas wiped out a lot of inventory this year caused shortages. As others have said figure out the exact problems with yours first. Should be a fairly easy swap for a long block worst case. A 350 really should not cost that much. For example-

Good luck.
Thanks for the lead! I'm gonna follow up with my mechanic and see what he says...

Back