• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New member here and need help with boat purchase

Bob Dobbs

Hello everyone! I am new to this sight and I have been looking for a month on purchasing a Checkmate boat that is an outboard, closed bow, and is in the range of 16' to 21'. My price range is $7,000 max and I have cash ready to spend! I will travel out of state. I have been looking at boats from 1977 to 1985, mainly the Predictor, Exciter, and the Enchanter. I am a real big fan of the older boats with the metal flake paint and this is what I am trying to find. I want the boat to do at least 80mph and I am willing to modify it to make this happen. I have also been considering buying a used motor in the range of 200hp to 250hp to put on the boat if it does not already have it, but I am trying to stay at the $7,000 mark, so like $5,000 for motor and $2,000 for boat or $7,000 for boat with a 200hp+ motor.

Now, I don’t know a lot about boats or motors, so I need everyone’s help here. I don’t want to get screwed or pay too much, but will pay extra if the boat is mint. I have already learned a lot in the last month by just reading this forum.

Here are the boats I found:

1) 78 Predictor with 200hp Merc for $4,200. This one is ILLMATTIC’s, but he has changed his mind on selling it right now. I would jump on this if he ever changes his mind. Very sweet boat and I would not have to do a thing to it!

2) 83 Predictor with 115hp 96 Merc for $5,500 or $2,000 for boat only. This is dealer owned and it is black metal flake with red pin stripping. New interior. I have not seen pictures, but the dealer said the condition is great. I thought of buying it with out the motor. I have no pictures.

3) 79 Exciter with 150hp 82 Merc Black Max for $5,000. This is dealer owned and the boat is all original. The boat was purchased from this dealer back in 79 and he has all the records. I saw this boat and the top is faded; it may have a chance of being buffed out, but the rest of the boat is in good shape. There is a problem with the trim not staying up and I am worried about the motor. Overall. I think the boat is in pretty good shape. I have pictures.

4) 81 Enchanter with rebuilt 200hp 96 Evinrude Vindicator, 20 hours on the motor. The guy showed me the receipt. He paid $4,500 for this motor. He says the boat will do 70mph. He said that the boat still has a nice shine. I have pictures.

5) 84 Enchanter. Last but not least, could this be a rare find? The owner is 61 years old and he is the 2nd owner. He bought the boat back in 85 and I want to say he bought it from someone that worked for Checkmate. This guy use to race boats and was also a Marine mechanic. He said that this was a special built boat with a special pad on the bottom. He said the boat is on its 3rd motor. The current motor is an 225hp 89 Evinrude VRO that he bought it bran new. He said the motor is blueprinted? He also said that this motor has very low hours. The boat has been sitting for the last 3 years and prior to that he has not used the boat much since 1989. He said the motor has a nose cone. The boat also has an electric power jack plate; I think he said CNC, turbo prop, and 2 extra chopper props, foot pedal, and full professional race instrumentation gauges. He said one of the props cost him $2,000 and that the prop is razor sharp. It must be installed with leather gloves because it’s so sharp. Is this possible? Also, the boat has the ski pole, full canvas cover, and he will include all his skies and what ever else he has for boating equipment. He said the boat is in original condition and the seats are original. He said that the boat will do 80mph. Everything sounds great, but the color of the boat is cream with blue strips. I think it is the same boat that is on the cover of the 84 Checkmate Enchanter brochure. Now, I am not crazy about the color, but I was thinking to at least buy the boat for the motor to use on another checkmate boat when I find another one I like. I have not been able to find any newer used 200HP or 225HP motors for less then $5,000, so I thought the boat would be good for at least the motor and anything else I can take off it. The owner was asking $6,000, but said that if I was serious he would consider $5,000. I think I can even get him to lower the price even more. So, if everyone could give some advice on whether this price is good for at least the motor, let me know if I should buy this one. I have pictures.

Thank you for everyone that responds and can head me in the right direction for my first boat purchase.

-Bob

No, the last one on the list is TERRIBLE! Forget about that one. By the way, where is it located? Can you send me the guys phone number? :devil:

I love your goals. 16-21' 80+ mph 7k. They can be found but its rare.
The problem is size vs power. Immatics boat is a great example. Small. high HP with a ton of time in set up. Much $$ invested in getting it right. I know I am doing the same thing with my trimate.
Good luck in the hunt, I would have a real good look at the last boat.
welcome to the board.

Bring on the pictures!

Hey guys, this weekend I have to make a big decision on whether I am going to buy the 79 Exciter that I have been looking at. I see this post has alot of views, just not many responses for help. :shakehead: So, I am posting pictures to see if I can get some good feedback. Everyone likes to see pictures right? :)

1) Picture# 1 and 2
79 Exciter with 150hp 82 Merc Black Max for $5,000. This is dealer owned and the boat is all original. The boat was purchased from this dealer back in 79 and he has all the records. I saw this boat and the top is faded; it may have a chance of being buffed out, but the rest of the boat is in good shape. There is a problem with the trim not staying and I am worried about the motor. This boat sits on a very nice trailer. Overall. I think the boat is in pretty good shape.

Attachments

• 10238632_102_4.jpg
    10238632_102_4.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 10238632_102_3.jpg
    10238632_102_3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 50
79 Exciter

Here are some of the interior:

Attachments

• 10238632_102_7.jpg
    10238632_102_7.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 10238632_102_12.jpg
    10238632_102_12.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 31
79 Exciter

Last pics for the 79 Exciter. The first picture here shows how bad the top is faded. The next picture shows the top buffed. Huge difference. I told the dealer that I would not buy this boat unless he could prove to me that this boat could be buffed out. Check it out! Unbelievable!!!!

Attachments

• 10238632_102_8.jpg
    10238632_102_8.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010133.JPG
    P1010133.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 57
Boat choice# 2 - 81' Enchanter

1) 81 Enchanter with rebuilt 200hp 96 Evinrude Vindicator for $5,000. The boat has 20 hours on a rebuilt motor that cost him $4,500. The guy showed me the receipt for the rebuilt motor. He says the boat will do 70mph. He said that the boat still has a nice shine.

Attachments

• ShowLetter5.jpg
    ShowLetter5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ShowLetter18.jpg
    ShowLetter18.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 60
Very nice looking boat. My only concern would be the motor. I think 5000 for a boat that is a possible gamble on the motor may be tuff for me to jump at personaly.Although I do know in Washington State you almost have to take what ya can get when it comes to checkmate. THhs is the time to buy but if your iffy on the motor i think id walk away it looks to be very well taken care of. If the motor goes south you could easily end up another 4-5 thousand into especialy in summer and maybe done for the season. Is the last boat that ya talked about available still. I think alot of people including myself get caught up in the moment and need it now. I know everyone likes to see a big black merc hanging off the back of checkmate(as do I)but, if the last one is still available id jump on in it. I know your nopt crazy bout the color i wasnt about mine either at first now with some slight changes I love it. Good luck Aaron

81' Enchanter

Here are pics of the interior:

Attachments

• ShowLetter2.jpg
    ShowLetter2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 30
  • ShowLetter12.jpg
    ShowLetter12.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 35
Not to sure bout the rear seeting but thats very easy to change I wouldnt worry bout that all , Id be quik if anyone elses finds it they will grab for sure:) . Aaron

Boat#3 - 84' Enchanter for $6,000

Ok everyone, some of you were telling me that the last boat might be a good option. Now let me show you the pictures and this may change your mind. First of all, I don't know much about boats and I'm not sure if this guy was selling me a bunch of lines of crap. From what I am now thinking, there is nothing special under the hull of this boat;no special race pad. What is special is the fact that it is a Checkmate! 2) Has any one ever heard of props costing $2,000? Let me know if there is any truth in this. 3) This boat sat for 3 years and never ran, I bet this is not good. 4) Wait to you see these pictures. This boat is in poor condition compared to the others. The boat is badly weathered, the trailer is all rusty. This boat was sitting outdoors. Please someone respond back to these questions and give me some insight. My favorite right now is the 79 Exciter. I am looking to upgrade the motor anyhow, so I think this is my best choice. Maybe someone can set up a poll for me and see what is everyone's favorite choice of the 3?

Attachments

• Checkmate5.jpg
    Checkmate5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Checkmate6.jpg
    Checkmate6.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 47
84' Enchanter

Interior shots. Check out that rusty ski pole!

Attachments

• Checkmate2.jpg
    Checkmate2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Checkmate4.jpg
    Checkmate4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 38
84' Enchanter

Check out the steering wheel! I would hate to see what the floor looks like under the carpet.

Attachments

• Checkmate1.jpg
    Checkmate1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Checkmate7.jpg
    Checkmate7.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29
Last pics for the 79 Exciter. The first picture here shows how bad the top is faded. The next picture shows the top buffed. Huge difference. I told the dealer that I would not buy this boat unless he could prove to me that this boat could be buffed out. Check it out! Unbelievable!!!!
This one will probably look like the before picture again next year.

Ok everyone, some of you were telling me that the last boat might be a good option. Now let me show you the pictures and this may change your mind. First of all, I don't know much about boats and I'm not sure if this guy was selling me a bunch of lines of crap. From what I am now thinking, there is nothing special under the hull of this boat;no special race pad. What is special is the fact that it is a Checkmate! 2) Has any one ever heard of props costing $2,000? Let me know if there is any truth in this. 3) This boat sat for 3 years and never ran, I bet this is not good. 4) Wait to you see these pictures. This boat is in poor condition compared to the others. The boat is badly weathered, the trailer is all rusty. This boat was sitting outdoors. Please someone respond back to these questions and give me some insight. My favorite right now is the 79 Exciter. I am looking to upgrade the motor anyhow, so I think this is my best choice. Maybe someone can set up a poll for me and see what is everyone's favorite choice of the 3?
Your RIGHT!!!! I will change my mind. Go with the Blue boat. This 84 is showing some neglect. The 79, is going to look all faded again next year. I like the Blue '81. But still, try to look it over, it may have been just buffed up nice also.

OH, and most important. THATS not a $2,000 prop!

84' Enchanter

The prop on the boat is a turbo prop. He told me that he would throw in a racing chopper prop that is razor sharp and will cut your hands. Is there such a prop that really costs $2,000???

Attachments

• Checkmate18.jpg
    Checkmate18.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 33
Back