• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Depth Finder/Gauge

Rob B

Staff member
I'm wanting to add a depth finder/gauge to my Pulse 170 and was wondering where are you guys mounting a depth finder/gauge at? Although i have limited dash space I'm thinking about a flushed mounted type. Any ideas?

Previous owner of my boat added one just before I bought it. I'm planning on removing it, as I dont need one to run around my lake. So before you buy let me know I'll go out and take pictures of it all mounted up and see if you want to buy it. It's too cold and icky out to do it right away though.

It is a thru-dash mounted gauge though. See behind the steering wheel, below the speedo and tach.

aftinsidejk2.jpg

Previous owner of my boat added one just before I bought it. I'm planning on removing it, as I dont need one to run around my lake. So before you buy let me know I'll go out and take pictures of it all mounted up and see if you want to buy it. It's too cold and icky out to do it right away though.

JW that's sounds great!!! I'm not in a hurry so whenever you have some time that would be cool. My sister and brother N law have a river house so i'll be going there alot this summer and need a depth gauge to run the river.

Thanks,

Barely see the pickup in this pic. Look at the transom saver, pickup is on the transom just above the transom saver:

rightaftishsideyo5.jpg

If you think you want this one, I can take better pix soon when I can get to the storage area, then you can decide for sure.

You'll have to research prices and make me an offer. I figure used electrical stuff is worth 1/2 of new, even if it's only a few months old. Maybe we could work out a trade. I'd like to find a 6" jack plate or maybe some props to play with. Or a good stereo for the dash, see the empty holes on the left side?

JW i think that would work on mine. What's the diameter of the gauge?
Look at my dash and see what you think? How much w/ shipping?

Attachments

• 107_0721.JPG
    107_0721.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 34
JW i think that would work on mine. What's the diameter of the gauge?
Look at my dash and see what you think? How much w/ shipping?

It's small diameter, maybe like your smaller gauges. No idea what its worth, see my previous post. I think we're posting too fast here....:rof:

It's small diameter, maybe like your smaller gauges. No idea what its worth, see my previous post. I think we're posting too fast here....:rof:

No kidding!!! Ok take a deep breath and relax.:D Do you know what brand it is and i'll look it up. I wish i had something to trade as i just got back into boating.:(

most guages are 2 1/8" for the small diameter. i installed a depth guage one on my dad's boat and it works great. now, i did what you weren't supposed to do and cut the wires. i didn't have a drill bit big enough to cut through the transom. i really hate that design where they put a big stupid plug on the end of the cable and then expect you to cut a big hole in the transom. so i cut and soldered the wires - it works flawlessly so don't be afraid to do it.

most guages are 2 1/8" for the small diameter. i installed a depth guage one on my dad's boat and it works great. now, i did what you weren't supposed to do and cut the wires. i didn't have a drill bit big enough to cut through the transom. i really hate that design where they put a big stupid plug on the end of the cable and then expect you to cut a big hole in the transom. so i cut and soldered the wires - it works flawlessly so don't be afraid to do it.

Chris i hear that. I've installed my share on bass boats before and the could make life easier with a different design.

Jw I'll buy the gauge just let me know when you remove it. We'll work on a fair price w/ shipping.

thru-hull

I was thinking about getting a depth finder and from the reading I've done it seems that a thu-hull transducer is a better way to go. I can't understand why everyone wouldn't go that way. Maybe you guys have an opinion on this?

Anyone know how to make a 2" hole into a 2 1/8" hole without buggering it all up?

Probably the easiest would be to attach a backer board behind the hole. Then use a hole saw w/ a bit to widen it.

Back