• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Can A Come Along Be Used To Lift An Outboard?

sim

I need to replace the motor on my jackplate and have to lift a 225 merc.
I'm thinking of rigging a come along to a tree branch by my driveway and backing the transom under it.
Is that nuts?
Has anyone ever done anything like that?
Any suggestions (other than psych meds) ?

I'm thinking of rigging a come along to a tree branch by my driveway and backing the transom under it.
Is that nuts?

You sure can, make sure the lbs rating is at least twice as much as the weight of the motor. I have a 2000 lb capacity come along.

Reactions: sim
I wouldn't have a proplem with it.But I do recommend buying a lifting loop from your merc dealer. apx $30.00. It screws into the crank lift dead center everytime.

I changed the power unit on my CMC hyd lift a few yrs back and I didn't remove da mota?

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8
Is that nuts?

You might be a Redneck if you have a motor swing'in from a tree branch in your yard.:D

Just kidding Sim.I have used a come-along and a tree branch a few times to change the motor on the Cat tractor my father used on his ranch.I think you would be fine.
I would take merc245's advice on the lift loop.

You might be a Redneck if you have a motor swing'in from a tree branch in your yard.:D

I would take merc245's advice on the lift loop.

You mean like this???;) i have done it a couple times. just make sure you can lift it high enough. The boat/trailer will raise up a couple inches without the weight on it.

DSC02047-1.jpg

Is that nuts?

**I've done it, but the thing no one has said is ( Make sure the tree branch will hold 600-800 lbs get a couple of your XXXL buddys to hang from the branch and make sure it holds them !! ) don't want to get it lifted and CRASH goes the limb and it goes bouncing off the boat ** NO GOOD

Hell I used my kids swing set with a 4x4 across the top one time years ago. I agree with 245 spring for the lifting lug.. Be safe have fun.

Make sure you take pics :banana:

I use an old chain block my grandfather gave me. Must be 75 years old by now. With a chain block... if you only need to move a small amount you can. I think the come-along only moves one click at a time. Should be able to get one from harbor freight cheap.

Back