• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

This stuff works great to bring back the shine.

john lamon

I went and got some 3M rubbing compound/wax in one today and was very impressed with it, I did all the metal flake in under an hour. here's the before and after pics, I don't know how much of a difference it will look like in the pics but it is allot.

I still can't stand the line-x on the top deck and am looking forward to seeing it come off next winter and see some fresh paint on the top.

Attachments

• 09 pics 064.jpg
    09 pics 064.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 09 pics 161.jpg
    09 pics 161.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
John years ago I helped a friend out on the weekends at his body shop and he swore by the 3M products. I was convinced after seeing what the product could on an 80's paint job. I've used 3M products ever since, good stuff.:thumb: The metalflake stands out in the second picture, good job.:thumb:

I look after a 36 foot late 70s power boat for a friend of mine, each spring I do a complete strip , compound and 2 coats of wax.
I used all the high tech waxes and compounds out there, then I came upon the 3M line and it is amazing. It has cut my labour in half because of it,s quality, and it is easy to put on and work in and it keeps a shinny finish for the whole season.I use a 2 speed grinder type buffer and a terry cloth pad for the compound, and wax is applied with a lambs wool pad and worrked in at higher of the 2 speeds.
I have a 185 Pulse that needs some TLC on the deck, so this spring I will take all the hardwear off and give it the full monty with the 3M stuff.:bigthumb:

Well I was bored today while the kids were napping so I thougt I'd try and polish up the wife's rims for her (after all she's driving the luzacruza now) so I've been driving her car.

I had some mothers aluminum polish left from my tunnel on my sled so I went out with the powerball and gave it a go. really pleased with the outcome, they had a years worth of road salt on em.

The first pic is after doing the front one, it's hard to tell in the pic so I took some close ups. The second pic is as clean as I could get it at the car wash and of course the third pic is after polishing.

Attachments

• 09 pics 207.jpg
    09 pics 207.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 31
  • 09 pics 210.jpg
    09 pics 210.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 09 pics 211.jpg
    09 pics 211.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 30
John
3M has so many products -- Can you tell me the exact name I would love to pick some up.

3M Marine Restorer & wax
-Combines Rubbing Compound and Wax in One Application
-Leaves a Brilliant, High Gloss, Protective Finsh
-Retards UV Light Damage

That's exactly what it say's on the bottle Check This, the stuff I used on the rims was Mothers Aluminun Polish, not 3M

(after all she's driving the luzacruza now)

The first pic is after doing the front one, it's hard to tell in the pic so I took some close ups. The second pic is as clean as I could get it at the car wash and of course the third pic is after polishing.
You know I have heard rumors that you have been driving it around town after the wife falls asleep:poke:

I see one problem with what you did............ you got 3 more to do to the same high standards.:irked:;) I used mothers and a 3" wool pad on all my aluminum hardware I made for the playmate.

I tell you what, bring your buff ball and your mota down. I got a set of 19.5" dually wheels that need some polishing REALLY BAD!!! You get em all shinny like them are and I will paint your mota bro!!!:banana:

You know I have heard rumors that you have been driving it around town after the wife falls asleep:poke:

I see one problem with what you did............ you got 3 more to do to the same high standards.:irked:;) I used mothers and a 3" wool pad on all my aluminum hardware I made for the playmate.

I tell you what, bring your buff ball and your mota down. I got a set of 19.5" dually wheels that need some polishing REALLY BAD!!! You get em all shinny like them are and I will paint your mota bro!!!:banana:

How did you know about my late night drives :sssh: that was supposed to be a secret

I was thinking the same about the 3 more to do, I went back out to the garage after the kids went to bed and didn't finish until 3am, thankfully I had the tunes pumping out of the mate to keep me going.

Funny thing is it hasn't left the garage cause I don't want to get em dirty.

I would like that paint job :poke: too bad your so far away.

Back