• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

so i just bought another mate

Ya I thought the trailer was/is a little short but found some very old pictures of it on S+F and it appears to be the same trailer I am going to offer him 1000 for the trailer do you think it is worth it also in the pics the boat is not pulled all the way to the front for some reason which makes it seem even shorter

Yah a grand is worth all the aggravation you will go threw tring to put it on another trailer

if you are going to redo the boat I would not mess with the trailer, just buy a new aluminum one, he lives near a decent ramp(used it before) switch right there..thats a long distance to pull on a iffy trailer...I have a friend here that sells ventures at decent prices, can see about one if you like....its right on the way to where the boat is...are you going to come out and tow it back ? Rob

Thanks Rob,
Ya if you wouldnt mind checking that would be great to get a price from your friend. I have done some checking around and the new ones are spendy. If I buy the trailer it will have new tires and bearings before it hits the road. I am taking bids for delivery right now I did some calculating yesterday and it would cost me about 1500 for the round trip to pic it up if i can get a bid close to that I will probably just have it delivered.

Thanks
Check ya later

so after 2 months I finally got this pig home to me on september 20th and started work on it the following evening I worked on it for 3 hours a night for 4 days and got the thing totally gutted floor out tank out and washed down transom will have to be replaced along with the floor which is fine because I wanted to bief it up anyway for the big 350 verados I plan on hanging on it in the next year or more to come within the next 2 weeks I want to have it all painted and ready for interior by the end of January here are few pics

Attachments

• SDC10508.jpg
    SDC10508.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 81
  • SDC10509.jpg
    SDC10509.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: JW
couple more

Attachments

• SDC10510.jpg
    SDC10510.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 73
  • SDC10511.jpg
    SDC10511.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 75
  • SDC10514.jpg
    SDC10514.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 78
Bravo, you gonna pop the top to replace the transom? That's gonna be a nice mate once you're done!!:thumb:

Bravo, you gonna pop the top to replace the transom? That's gonna be a nice mate once you're done!!:thumb:

If you mean by popping the top removing the splashwell yes i am I am going to be completely removing the splash well and installing a sun deck where it used to be, the deck will be able to be raised with an actuater of some sort (electric or hydraulic)

If you mean by popping the top removing the splashwell yes i am I am going to be completely removing the splash well and installing a sun deck where it used to be, the deck will be able to be raised with an actuater of some sort (electric or hydraulic)

I meant remove the top to access the transom. Some advice if I may, I cut my splashwell out on the Enforcer( see my resto) and if I had to do it over again the top would've been removed. That was a PITA to cut out plus having to replaced the transom. By removing the top and sliding it forward about 4' the transom would be easy to get too. Hope that makes sense. First page 14th thread:http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15951.

I meant remove the top to access the transom. Some advice if I may, I cut my splashwell out on the Enforcer( see my resto) and if I had to do it over again the top would've been removed. That was a PITA to cut out plus having to replaced the transom. By removing the top and sliding it forward about 4' the transom would be easy to get too. Hope that makes sense. First page 14th thread:http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15951.

So what your saying is unbolt the hole top section from the bottom and slide it forward, man I think that would be more work than cutting it out checkmate has about 200 1/4 inch bolts holding this thing together not mention the the spots that are fiberglassed together and then you have the sealant between the halves, then i would have to rig something up to be able to lift the whole top to move it forward that seems like alot more work to me rather than cutting out the splash well but I could be wrong but remember this thing is another 4 foot longer than yours. I have a buddy from reno NV tha thas been doing fiberglass work on boats and cars for over 25years tha tis going to be helping me with the glass work so it should turn out pretty good we are planning on cutting the back out good enough to access the transom easily and then redoing the upper part with a sun deck will post pics of that ounce we get after it next week.

Check ya later

You've got a valid point, forgot the boat was longer plus needing something to lift the top then slide it forward. Good luck and post some pictures!!!:thumb:

Excellent project. Lots of work and a hell of a lot of satisfaction
when you are done. Reminds me of my resto. Almost makes me want to start another one. I did say "ALMOST" didn't I? :shakehead:

Have to complete my Crackerbox first.

Good luck and like everyone else has said, "We need to see pictures". :thumb:

thanks guys I will be sure to post pics as I progress, perhaps I should start a new thread in the restoration topics or should I just update here

thanks guys I will be sure to post pics as I progress, perhaps I should start a new thread in the restoration topics or should I just update here

Start a thread under Restoration. You will have one complete file for future reference.

Back