• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Starflite Restoration

jross

Hello my name is Jesse. I bought a 1992 Starflite merc 225 3.0l, beginning of 2010. I new it needed a new floor and most likely a transom rebuild. I ran it all summer and recently decided to start tearing it apart. This is the most helpfull website as far as getting the best advice on how to go about things. So far i have a 10" cmc jackplate that will be installed after the transom rebuild. Looks like the original dual cable steering will need replaced also. It doesnt look like it will be long enough plus the outer casing is torn and rusty in some spots. I was gonna try and save a buck and go with new nfb dual cable. The boat has keikhaefer trim tabs on it. I know only one works and the motor is shot on the other one. Seems like parts are hard to find for these tabs and im not sure if there necessary to even put back on. Any suggestions and or comments would be appreciated. Im pretty new at this. Thanks. Ill add pics as soon as i figure how to.

Are the K-planes on your flite a once piece design with the motor sitting on top of them inside the hull?

If they are what I'm thinking of they have no external cylinder and they use around a 3" hole to go thru the transom... if so, they are the 110s- you can get new motors and o-rings for them no prob.

yeah thats what they are. Thanks for the help, i didnt know i could do that.
jesseoco

Ok i think i got it now. Thanks!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 49
  • checkmate 095.jpg
    checkmate 095.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 47
  • checkmate 098.jpg
    checkmate 098.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 45
a few more

Attachments

• checkmate 146.jpg
    checkmate 146.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 45
  • checkmate 147.jpg
    checkmate 147.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 45
  • checkmate 153.jpg
    checkmate 153.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 49
Yeah, I had a bad motor on my old 110s- same ones you have. It was around $110 or $120 for a replacement from mercury thru a local dealer. I also had a few o-rings that were leaking, so I replaced them as well.

Those tabs work really well and are really tough. I had a set on my 24 that are getting replaced with bigger 280s. Nothing beats Kiekhaefer tabs.

Everytime I see a new starflite restore thread, my heart leaps a little and then I get really jealous. I need to do this sometime.

Can't wait to see how she turns out...and welcome to the boards.

Back