• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Enforcer Paint Resto

painting

sorry for butting in on his sight, please bear with me as I am new to this sight, I have a few questions, I read your thread and its intimidating to think of using the wrong type of paint as there is so maney options out there. does anyone know about Tamco products? they have a Premier series that comes in a clear and its saposed to be as durable as Imron and its around $90 a gallon, I was thinking on using this as my clear coat, but I have no clue. the 2nd question is primer what is 2k? I priced Nason primer at $120 with activator, I sanded the Starflite down today, other than a few small spots that I bondo-glassed no more than abut 2 inches here and there do I really have to primer the whole boat or can I just use a sealer on those places? My third question is the rub rail I can not seem to find the insert for it, Ebay, Overtons and Jamestown dist ect. I cant seem to find it, my rub rail is in great shape and to replace the whole thing is pricey, is there a rub rail insert that is close enough to work? thank you everyone for helping me with this restoration.:eyecrazy:

sorry for butting in on his sight, please bear with me as I am new to this sight, I have a few questions, I read your thread and its intimidating to think of using the wrong type of paint as there is so maney options out there. does anyone know about Tamco products? they have a Premier series that comes in a clear and its saposed to be as durable as Imron and its around $90 a gallon, I was thinking on using this as my clear coat, but I have no clue. the 2nd question is primer what is 2k? I priced Nason primer at $120 with activator, I sanded the Starflite down today, other than a few small spots that I bondo-glassed no more than abut 2 inches here and there do I really have to primer the whole boat or can I just use a sealer on those places? My third question is the rub rail I can not seem to find the insert for it, Ebay, Overtons and Jamestown dist ect. I cant seem to find it, my rub rail is in great shape and to replace the whole thing is pricey, is there a rub rail insert that is close enough to work? thank you everyone for helping me with this restoration.:eyecrazy:

First are you just sanding your boat then clear coating or painting a color then clear coat? If you're adding color to the boat then yes you'll need a epoxy primer. I don't know much about Tamco products only used Nason and marine paints so far. Maybe somone else might know about that product. I'll see if I can find the insert JT Patroni used on his Starflite and post it. How about posting some pictures of your boat. Hope this helps.

At first I was thinking I could get away with just sanding and clear coating it but now after I sanded it, I think I should repaint her, guess I will have to bite the big one on this out of the pocket book and prime the whole thing, it just seems to be a waist to spend the money on a undercoat that you can not see, but I gauss you will with all the scratches I now see after sanding it, I am thinking on a pearl blue stripping with a white for the main with alittle pearl in it as well, does that interlux topside white paint take a clear coat and does it use a activator or no? and thanks again for the help. As far as pictures go I have been taking them as I go along and dont even know how to put them on this site, If I have to pay or something I will. oh and I sent a message to ezstiper for the logos, gust love them on your beauty, but I am going to ad alittle uniqueness to mine.:D

At first I was thinking I could get away with just sanding and clear coating it but now after I sanded it, I think I should repaint her, guess I will have to bite the big one on this out of the pocket book and prime the whole thing, it just seems to be a waist to spend the money on a undercoat that you can not see, but I gauss you will with all the scratches I now see after sanding it, I am thinking on a pearl blue stripping with a white for the main with alittle pearl in it as well, does that interlux topside white paint take a clear coat and does it use a activator or no? and thanks again for the help. As far as pictures go I have been taking them as I go along and dont even know how to put them on this site, If I have to pay or something I will. oh and I sent a message to ezstiper for the logos, gust love them on your beauty, but I am going to ad alittle uniqueness to mine.:D

Interlux is a single stage paint, no clearcoat. Basically mix the paint add some 218 or 333 depending if you're gonna roll and tip or spray. However if I were you do it the right way. 2 stage paint like what I did. There should be a laundry list of the supplies a few pages back. Yes you'll be happy with the primer coat to seal the boat. Good stuff easy to sand. I sanded my boat with 180 grit, then a coat of primer, sanded with 600 grit, another coat of primer then sanded again with 600 grit. Then you're ready for taping/painting.

To add photos either become a supporting member or use photobucket to copy and paste. You can send me a PM with your email address and I'll post them up for ya!!

Last edited:
First are you just sanding your boat then clear coating or painting a color then clear coat? If you're adding color to the boat then yes you'll need a epoxy primer. I don't know much about Tamco products only used Nason and marine paints so far. Maybe somone else might know about that product. I'll see if I can find the insert JT Patroni used on his Starflite and post it. How about posting some pictures of your boat. Hope this helps.

My rub rail came from a distributor in MA. Black base and black insert. Both came in 55' rolls. No seams. I just can't find the name of the company right now. I will look for it if the info is still needed.

My rub rail came from a distributor in MA. Black base and black insert. Both came in 55' rolls. No seams. I just can't find the name of the company right now. I will look for it if the info is still needed.

Just sent you a PM about it!! Thanks!!!

how much primer and paint did you use gal. red, qt. white and qt. black, gal. of clear? oh and

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
how much primer and paint did you use gal. red, qt. white and qt. black, gal. of clear? oh and

1 gallon of primer, 1 gallon of red, 1 qt of black and white and 1 gallon of clear. Your boat looks nice from the pictures. You should start a thread for your resto/paint work. We like pictures!!!:D

Gonna set the windshield in morning long enough to take pictures then start water sanding!!!!!:D I gotta get sippyrat off my back!!! :poke: I'll post them up mid morning!!!:cheers: Oh the T-bolts showed up today as well!!

I look forward to seeing the windshield on it. I think it's going to look good:bigthumb:

Sucks all your T bolts snapped. All of mine came off with relative ease:confused:

This morning I placed the windshield on the boat for a photo-op, before the water sanding begins!!:D Actually looks good black on black! Here's the pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3095.jpg
    DSCN3095.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN3096.jpg
    DSCN3096.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN3097.jpg
    DSCN3097.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 208
Looks good Robbie... but it has a slightly different sheen from the hull. Will this require repainting in the near future so it all matches? Kinda like the slightly different shades of red?:poke::thumb:

Back