• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1986 Starflite restoration

here is some more, um I did a compression test and all cilinders average at 132 eccept one #6 is at 117/118 let me guess its dying or what ring is going south, but can I at least run her a few times or is this not that bad of a issue that I need to streess out, can I run her the season and then rebuild her???????
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

You do realize the boat will not fit in the swimming pool!(post#101) :poke::D Seriously the boat looks great, nice job on the resto!!!:thumb:

well if I cant get a answer on the compression deal, it maybe the only place I can put her in, th swimming pool and all LOL

Rule of thumb is 10% difference from the highest to the lowest is acceptable. I would run it for a while and let it eat some fuel and decent oil then do the test again, make sure to do it warm this time and make sure the throttle is wide open.

John

had her out , put 25 gal, in her and a bottle of sea foam, ran her wide open for about 4/5 hours, tried the chop prop and noticed ALOT of slipping out of the hole, got about 54 Mph with about 2 1/4" height, brought her in and My plastic water intake was gone as I changed the prop to the quicksilver, bought a new water intake for it put her in the water and was doing 58/60 mph on choppy water, it pulls heavy to the right badly never got a chance to adjust it any the slipping was not as bad, and my abendix on the starter is wore out, so I have to find a new one befor I can do another compression test, but the motor ran great and even though I had her floored and could not throttle any more I think theres alot more I can get but have to fix all the gauges first the only one that works is the speedo, and its not wourth a hoot on choppy water it is hard to read bouncing back and fourth, but ran out of gas that was fun swimming it in to the Marina, the gas gauge is the first to fix.

ordered a new starter gear, here is some more pics, I will do another compression test to see where we are at as well as drop the jack plate a few inches as sudjested and trim tab.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

looked into my gauges yesterday and man is that a FGH#@#$$% my temp was maxed out and stayed there even off so I put the ground to the post and it did go down to like 60s so well see if I fixed that, my fuel gauge will not do anything even if I cross it over at the fuel tank so I will try a direct 12v line to the battery to see whats up, my Tachometer is crazy it was stuck at 2rpm even when I diconected it I jared it slightly to see if it moves and boy did it ever went all the way counter clockwise to 5000 so I gently got it back around 1000 so I have no clue, I think there is power there but not shure, any sudjestions??????

I just put it up to get my feet wet so to speak if it sells for 8k so be it if not then I keep her. I am getting alot of weird emails saying oh I can send you it via Paypal but these differant people can not seem to call me for one reason or the other seems like some type of scam, especially that there would be a 21 day hold on those funds, but out here in the mid west everyone is broke so I highly doubt I will be selling her any time soon.

well looks like I get to keep her, did not want to sell her anyway, all the gauges are fixed new fuel gauge and sender the bow carpet is trimmed and done along with a new headliner, put the new abendix on and she purrs like a lion, did another compression test and ran it by a few marine machanics they all said that its ok, and with the jackplate being to high the trim tab totaly off badly, on very choppy water 2 to 3 foot swells as it was windy as all get out ,all my gear my gal and one very large friend of 360 lbs I was still doing 60 all day long, so all in all I cant wait to do all the adjustments loose the gear and take her out all by my lonesome to see how fast I can get her up to and adjust the throttle to get what I should out of her, One question on a 81 225 Blackmax what should my optimal min/max RPM be????

well I tried to sell her for as low as $6000 not so much as 1 offer even ever came back so looks like I am stuck with her

That was a lot of work just to sell the boat, glad you're keeping it!!:thumb:

thanks the motor is really good but I been thinking about upgrading to a newer 250 that I could finance of course, which will be hard to find one, I would like to get her up to the 80s Mph

Back