• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1989 21 STARFLITE FINISHES THIRD IN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP DOWN IN OCEAN CITY MARYLAND

MR.DETERMINATION

Hey everybody Mr.Determination back from Ocean City. We came in third, would have liked to have won but that is what next year's for. There were 2 to 3 foot seas. I ran the race consertative being it was offshore and did not want to break anything including myself. I had the 200 merc reved up to 5200 rpms out there. I give alot of credit to checkmate and the prior owners for this extremely well made boat I do not know how many hours are on the boat or the conditions it was run in but I raced it 2 times hard and it still looks and runs excellent. Will work on it over the winter getting it dialed in any suggestions that would make the boat handle better would be greatly appreciated. Thinking about installing solid mounts on the motor. Do you know if trim tabs would help the handling in rough water, how about adding weight up in the bow. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. You guys are the best :thumb: thanks for you help and support .

Sincerely Yours,

Kevin a.k.a Mr.Determination 708

Congrats. Sorry I missed it but will be looking forward to the Solomons and OC race next year now that theres a Checkmate running.

Great news and congrats Mr. D. Did you get any pics or footage of your boat while down there? Would love to see if you did.

:thumb:

I give alot of credit to checkmate and the prior owners for this extremely well made boat I do not know how many hours are on the boat or the conditions it was run in but I raced it 2 times hard and it still looks and runs excellent.

Sincerely Yours,

Kevin a.k.a Mr.Determination 708

Only running that FLite hard twice and now coming in third in a race with 2 to 3 ftrs......
That is DAY-EM good.....
Congrats on a great finish :cheers:
As you know by now, these Checkmate hulls {especially the 22's and shorter} are a drivers hull, I'm not really sure weight up front would be the answer to getting the boat to move faster through the water or having it handle any better but having tabs would come into play if your running in anything over 2ftrs and/or if your running with hard currents to port or starboard.
You should PM our friend Sammie {Viper 1} and see if you can get into a conversation about getting the most out of the abilities and speed handling characteristics of these hulls ---- Sammie is absolutely the foremost expert on how to get these hulls to go as fast as hell. {132mph in a 22ftr Vision, many years ago when those speeds were unheard of}

Again, great finish and very much look forward to you future runs {hope I can make it to one of them :D

went down last minute and watched from the commander 7th fl ocean front , the sea was really starting to kick up quite a bit for the class 7 boats. I thought a few times you were going to pack it in . but I watched you finish the race and that was a great feat in and of itself , glad to hear the boat is fine I was kinda wondering how well she would hold up. good luck next year I think class 7 has a great future, but man its hard to believe those class 7 boats and drivers could really hold up in 3 to 4 footers which is what was kicking by the time the big boys got out there . im sure by now you have seen the photo of the miss mary mac totally horizontal about 6 ft in the air. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...pa-world-championships-images-now-online.html

Totally Awesome!!!

AND...you get a metric $h!t ton of style points for doing that with the rear platforms still on! Because, you never know when you might drop in for a swim!

See if you can get that pic and post it up over here...BOTM fo sho.

(Anyone know if we can grab it since it's got the watercolor stamp on it?)

Congrats Kevin on your great start with your Flite. Very cool to see you running so well in them rough conditions. Good luck next year and would be cool if Checkmate could help in some way and it seems like they would have an interest in your great accomplishments . Looks like alot of fun. :cheers:

full interior probably oldest hull out there an oldest motor still out running them. an to think everyone thought I was crazy for running outside from Chincoteague to Oc in my enchanter.

Personally I don't think trim tabs would help much with that style racing there maybe a little setback not much good tie rods down to the stringers from the top mounts an solid motor mounts just to make sure the engine stays there.

looks like bottom paint to me. What all does it take to run in class 7 do you have to be a apba member might be something I would be interested in doing.

Back