• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1989 Starliner Restoration

I wouldn't cut the bottoms out. Right now water gets in there, goes into the drain and down the tube that is supposed to be connected to it where it is dumped in the bilge right next to the pump. If you cut the bottoms out you'll have water coming in all over back there and not channeled to where it "belongs". I only have to fill my oil tank every other tank of gas or even a little less often than that and I never have to fool with my battery except in the beginning and end of the season when I put it in or put it away. I moved my battery to the port side all the way against the transom and the oil tank is just in front of it. Not all that bad to fill up the tank and the battery way out of the way is better IMO. Helps balance the boat out too.

John

I wouldn't cut the bottoms out. Right now water gets in there, goes into the drain and down the tube that is supposed to be connected to it where it is dumped in the bilge right next to the pump. If you cut the bottoms out you'll have water coming in all over back there and not channeled to where it "belongs". I only have to fill my oil tank every other tank of gas or even a little less often than that and I never have to fool with my battery except in the beginning and end of the season when I put it in or put it away. I moved my battery to the port side all the way against the transom and the oil tank is just in front of it. Not all that bad to fill up the tank and the battery way out of the way is better IMO. Helps balance the boat out too.

John

That's makes sense, I was thinking out loud! I was looking at those coolers wondering if they could've been deeper. Then move the battery and oil tank in front of them. I could modify and make them true coolers. I should them alone.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Coolers

I would not get rid of them, but I would think about insulating them. If I remember right, they don't keep ice very long on a hot summer day.

HD

The problem comes down to they are totally exposed to the sun and even if you insulate the crap out of them I would bet that the heat absorbed by the surrounding hull will cause the ice to melt quickly anyway. I think they are best suited to what I use them for, a place to store docking lines and bumpers.

John

I used mine all of the time. I bought little drain plugs, I think at lowes, and I would plug the drains and they worked much better. At the end of the day, I pulled out the plugs and let them drain. And I am going to try to insulate them as well. I really liked them as coolers. I would try to preserve there use until you have a chance try them out and form your own opinion.

All great points, keep them coming! :thumb:My impression was that they weren't very deep and probably can't hold alot of drinks. The coolers would be better if they were a foot deeper. For now I'll leave them stock, plenty other stuff to do first. Thanks for the comments!!

All great points, keep them coming! :thumb:My impression was that they weren't very deep and probably can't hold alot of drinks. The coolers would be better if they were a foot deeper. For now I'll leave them stock, plenty other stuff to do first. Thanks for the comments!!

I can confirm that they will hold quite a few fine beverages...

I got alot accomplished today, tab the stringers and knees in place, bought a used boat trailer and finish removing the hardware off the the deck. First I need the epoxy guru's to tell me what I did wrong. The glass is saturated with resin yet I still see white spots. Part of that is the left over cabosil on the sides making it look like air pockets, also used the air roller that pushes the air out. I even sanded everything down before tabbing them in. The boat trailer needs some work and move the bunkers to match the hull. I plan on stripping the trailer and repainting either with truck bedliner or rustoleum paint. Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN4191.jpg
    DSCN4191.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN4195.jpg
    DSCN4195.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN4196.jpg
    DSCN4196.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I'm thinking of leaving the swim platforms off and buy a ladder. Kind of wanting to update the look.

I left mine off also. Really didn't like the look of those platforms.
I did keep them and all the hareware just in case the next owner
would want to see them back in place.

Rolling right along, got few more items done on the "to do" list. I removed the divider wall up front and replaced it with composite board. I embedded that in 5200. Second got the floor cut and glued down, next up will be filling in around the edges with cabosil then tabbing the floor in place. Here's more pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN4206.jpg
    DSCN4206.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN4208.jpg
    DSCN4208.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 76
Back