• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

200 black max

ballardnboyz

Im back!...can anyone tell me why my driveshaft housing is filling with water when on muffs... noticed water coming from a bolt i replaced after installing new solid motor mounts. I replaced all the gaskets after power head removal. I was told the poppet valve drains here. I didnt think this was the area it does at it fills up around the drive shaft...do i have a issue??

Just finished a 850,000.00 home...started it when i finished my rebuild....only got my ship in twice last year...hopin to tune her in this season!:eyecrazy:

What do you mean by filling up water comes out of yur exhaust adaptor an cools the tuner so yes water travels through there if it is filling up while not running you might have a bad oring in your pump housing.

nope it only fills when its running...just thought it was weird that it would discharge into the drive shaft housing and not directly into the exhaust housing...apparently it doesnt hurt to have all that water around the drive shaft?..just never noticed before...

trying to figure out why i run around 225 degrees at WOT, runs steady 20 psi at WOT and 120 degrees at 10 psi at idol. pump is new..poppit was new last year, new stats...took apart exhausts divider...looks brand new in there....shes ran this hot for a few years now. :poke:....could i have to much restriction at the lower water pick up hose to pump??

I had a similar issue on my 3.0 merc. Water was coming out the top of the mid where you can see a bit of the drive shaft. I also had water streaming from the lower engine mount.

I asked a few questions over there on S/F. Everyone said it was either a leaking gasket on the mid/adapter or there was a crack in the exhaust adapter.

I never did get to the bottom of it. Never really tried. I didn't want to pull the power head again.

As for your temp issues... Are you using a matched gauge and sender?
Is it for an outboard?
Is it water temp or head temp?

Without knowing what gauge you have its impossible to tell. Even knowing which gauge it'll be hard to say if it will work with the sender you have without knowing the specs on the Merc sender and the original gauge sender. My suggestion would be to get the correct sender for the gauge from the manufacturer.

John

thanks for the help...

...one step further...would the water temp gauge hook to the head with the new sender as it does now or is there one that goes into the water jacket at some point?

The one I have on my motor can have the sender mounted either into a cooling jacket or into the head without actually touching the cooling water.

ok...i have a teleflex gauge...and the mercury head temp sender...I cant seem to find a sender specific for a outboard and to teleflex...any ideas?

Call Teleflex and tell them which gauge you have. They can probably supply the directions and a sender. I might even have the directions from mine somewhere.

um...i know the part # for the sender...i bought it...:)

its for the mercury motor ..not for the new temp gauge. I have found the matching sender from teleflex for my teleflex gauge...now the issue is they make a hold down specific adapter for that sender...cant find the specific hold down bracket anywhere..teleflex site is terible, and the place i bought the gauge has no clue....this is the diagram i found:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/howtos/Large/842f.jpg

know where i can find this bracket???

Once you get the sender you can figure something out. I'm going to bet it's the same as my teleflex sender and is a 1/8 NPT one. It's just a matter of figuring out where you're going to put it. On my OMC it threaded not a blind hole. It's suggested that heat sink grease be used.

Ive seen brackets that bolt on under a head bolt and the sender attaches to the bracket so its touching the head before. I think my OMC has one.

Back