• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

454 MAG MPI Pro Charger upgrade

Okay made the 5 1/2 hour journey to Ohio yesterday and met with Jason Kunkel and dropped the boat off. The Pro Charger system was there on the floor just waiting for the boat. I cannot wait to have my CM put in the water and see her roar!
May have him add headers at the same time just depends upon the $$$. That may have to wait until next year we will see.
:drool:

Just one question. I like the idea of doing this but what happens if 3 or 6 months down the road something goes wrong with the supercharger or the install. Do you have to drive the boat the 5 1/2 hours back to get it repaired under warranty? :confused:

Beautiful boat! I'm sure you'll be happy with Kunkel's work and the trip was worth every penny as many have made the trip before. A shop that does great work at a fair price is definitely worth the trip.

Just one question. I like the idea of doing this but what happens if 3 or 6 months down the road something goes wrong with the supercharger or the install. Do you have to drive the boat the 5 1/2 hours back to get it repaired under warranty? :confused:

Yes! I prefer to use the experts to do what they do best. Jason Kunkel is known as one of the top people not on just this forum but on multiple people.

I would prefer to deal with the man that told me super chargers don't blow up motors the people that install them do!

5 1/2 hr drive is really not that big a deal for me.

Yes! I prefer to use the experts to do what they do best. Jason Kunkel is known as one of the top people not on just this forum but on multiple people.

I would prefer to deal with the man that told me super chargers don't blow up motors the people that install them do!

5 1/2 hr drive is really not that big a deal for me.

The reason I ask is it's an 11 hour drive for me so I'm trying to decide if it'll be worth it to me one day. I don't mind the getting it there and then having to pick it up, but the "if it breaks" scenario doesn't sound too exciting.

Thoughts?

The reason I ask is it's an 11 hour drive for me so I'm trying to decide if it'll be worth it to me one day. I don't mind the getting it there and then having to pick it up, but the "if it breaks" scenario doesn't sound too exciting.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't say anything is a guarantee, especially when you are playing with anything "high performance", but I think Kunkels record speaks for itself. Just like any business, if you dig deep enough, you will find a dissatisfied customer. However, you are going to have to weed through a ton of happy customers to find them. They have been doing it a long time, and if I could afford to have somebody do the work for me, they would be the top of my list.

I can only speak from my experience with Kunkels and all went well. I bought a boat from him and the following spring noticed a small split in the shift boot. I didn't want to go back do to him being a hour and half away. I called him, he sent a replacement part at no charge and I installed it. Since then whenever I have a question on maintenance I am performing he has answered every question asked and even reached out to the PO when needed.

Also, my Dad pulled his boat 6 1/2 hours from southern Kentucky to have Kunkels do all his rigging and it has been 100% trouble free. There were tons of places around Lake Cumberland that could have done the job, but he still chose Kunkels without hesitation based on their reputation and friend recommendations.

Thoughts?

I understand your concern it took me over 6 months to make the decision. There are a gozillion things that can go wrong with this build I recommend you speak to several different experts including many on this forum who have added big HP to the motors.
Sorry but I am an emergency room mechanic and do not claim to be anything but!

I feel very confident with Jason Kunkel as have others on this site. Look closely at the details in the photos I posted much of what Jason has done was not included in the kit.

They are amazing to work with. I made the 4 hr trip to get my boat motor rigged by professionals. Jason is a fine upstanding person and he really truly cares about his customers. His parents have done a great job raising him to be that guy. They have been working 6 days a week since 1971 for good reason . They are in demand !

Does he help you pick a new prop for it too that can support the power increase?

Yes that is part of the rigging process. Jason prefers the way the 4 blade make the boat handle. My testing showed a 3 Blade Mirage was the fastest prop, oh and I now own several props I am going to need to sell.

Will it ever stop raining??

Okay so far so good. The install is complete just trying to complete rigging. First lake trial was with 29 Tempest only saw 79 (new GPS SPEEDO also added) but did not even get to trim her hit the rev limiter.
Just waiting for the Fn rain to stop. Jason stated the mid range is like a rocket. Thinks a 31P or 32P Bravo 1 is what he will test with next.
Stay tuned hoping for mid 80's :drool:

What's your rev limit set at?

Kunkel does not believe it is a good idea to modify the factory settings so the Rev limiter is still set at 5150 RPM. The engines manors at idle and around the dock are better left at factory settings,
Yes for around $500 he can have it re flashed and bump the Rev limiter to 5400 RPM but why would I want to push the motor that hard.
The boat is going to be very close to her safe top end the way it is. If I want to go that much faster I will buy a different boat designed for 100 MPH PLUS.
Next year is hydraulic steering and headers and after having a season of seat time may change my mind on the Rev limiter but as of now I think I will be content.

The weather in South East Ohio sucks this year

Ugh still can't get out on the lake and finish the prop selection and rigging.

Can't wait!::rof:

Ya, I'd leave it set at factory 5150. I was just wondering how hard you were turning it when you said you were on the rev limiter.

Back