• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Anyone ever blueprint a Starflite hull?

Mark

Just curious if anyone on the board has blueprinted a Starflite hull. I know many have added mucho setback to free the hull from the water. My guess is that most hulls have a bit of a hook. My Starliner has about 3/16" over the last 3'. Not too bad, but probably enough to hold the bow down in speed runs. Sharpening the strakes would be a lot of trouble since Mate built them pretty round in the first place. But one could take the hook out. Anyone tried it? How did you do it? Results?

Hey Mark, what do you think you could gain on top end w/ blue printing? 1-2? 2-3 mph?

I havnt done A Starflight but I did take the hook out of my Enchanter, about 3/16" in the last 1' and a rocker on the right side 3' forward, Didnt help the speed much, did alow me to use a little less trim. The down side: It caused the boat to porpise more, especially with more people on board and skiing. In the end I added 1/8" of hook back in to calm the porpise. I wouldnt do it again.

Hey Mark, what do you think you could gain on top end w/ blue printing? 1-2? 2-3 mph?
I've read articles of guys gaining 4-5 mph on a 60 mph boat. It certainly wouldn't be worth it for 1 or 2. Even less so if it produced a porpoise.
I reduced my setback from 13" to 11" to get rid of a mid-range porpoise. However, I lost a couple of mph on the top end...don't really care thou. Just haven't been able to nail the perfect running attitude that gives me the beast of both worlds. In reality I spend most of my time between 40-45.

I can remember doing around 4 or 5 of them. At least one brand new. But its been a long time ago.

You can also check with John Tiger Jr. over on Scream and Fly. I believe he blueprinted a Starflight

You can also check with John Tiger Jr. over on Scream and Fly. I believe he blueprinted a Starflight
I've got the article. It was in Hot Boat magazine. He was going to blueprint it but I think he sold the boat before he ever got around to it.

Back