• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Boating After Dark...

Bluebeast

The idea of boating after dark may have caused some contention in another thread, so I thought I'd put it out here separately for discussion.

Personally I don't think it can be seen as anything but risky behavior, but that said:
Some of my fondest memories over decades of boating involve skimming in my 'mate over a glass-smooth lake on a cloudless summer night under a full moon so bright it was like boating under a searchlight.

My family & friends had a favorite camping/boating tradition known as the 'Midnight Swim'. After the kids were asleep, the willing adults would boat out into the lake for, yup, a Midnight Swim. No problem on nights with a bright moon; on dark nights we'd creep out barely over idle-speed, anchor under full nav-lights and swim, then idle back towards the lantern we'd left on shore. Lucky, probably, but we never had any problems worse than the occasional missing clothing that disappeared in the dark.

Of course, this was on a lake with no commercial traffic; no late-night barges or ocean liners, just us and the loons (sic).

Any thoughts, comments, experiences (good or bad)? WITHOUT getting personal, please.

I personally LOVE taking my boat out at night. But, I'm on lake Cumberland, which like your lake, has no commercial traffic. Just this past 4th of July weekend I didn't even launch my boat till 8:00 pm on Sunday. A group of us ran down to Conley Bottom, about an hour drive slow cruising, sat and watched a pretty good fireworks display. Hung out for a little while then made a midnight run back to the house. It was a blast!!!

Besides, I didn't just spend all that money on brand new Livorsi gauges with all those pretty red lights to not use em!!!

I boat at night almost as much as in the day time, same thing here, we always go swimming at night, it's great to leave the kids with the grand parents and take the little lady out for a midnight swim.

You do have to be careful, my biggest fear is always some idiot without lights which I've seen many times, never had any issues though, I've been boating and snowmobiling on the same lake since I was born and even on the darkest night I know exactly where I am just by looking at the lights on shore, the first date I ever took my wife on when we met was to the bar 7 miles across the lake, at that time I had my 17' Avenger with no windshield and she took a sea gull in the head on the way home:rof:

I guess they cant get out of the way at 80 mph, we still laugh about that night.

I'm cool with it, I only boat at night places I know, never any commercial traffic and always have my lights on hoping that if theres another idiot out there without his at least he'll see me. Also, I never go fast at night. :surf:

I think I do more night boating than day boating....Half of the time I am just launching at dusk. I know the river well, the channel is well marked (watch out for buoys on moonless nights though), I don't run fast, and I have a mapping GPS with the appropriate chip that shows the markers and channel. The commercial traffic is light to non-existant. If you know the area and don't act stupid, I think it is very enjoyable!

Love boating at night. Like others have said, with the appropriate equipment and common sense, haven't had any issues.

Half my boating is at night, my only beef is stupid people driving around with docking lights on blinding other people. If you cant see with the glow of the moon or other night vision things you use at night, get off the water.

Half my boating is at night, my only beef is stupid people driving around with docking lights on blinding other people. If you cant see with the glow of the moon or other night vision things you use at night, get off the water.

says the guy that flooded his pontoon at night:lol::lol:

says the guy that flooded his pontoon at night:lol::lol:

Pontoon was no match from a 8 foot back to back roller from a 50 foot cruiser. I had no problem going over the first one. But the second one came over the boat when I was headed down off the first one. The carpet needed a washing any way. :bigthumb:

So it seems like there's general agreement that boating at night is pleasureable and reasonably safe, with precautions.

I probably should have left off the comment about risky behavior since that applies to just about every adult toy I've ever owned and enjoyed, day or night.

The only time I've nearly been hurt while night boating was when I hit a floating tree while going @30mph. Thought the engine was going to jump into the boat and my heart was going to jump out of my chest!

The 'lake' I'm usually on is actually a river backed up 30 miles behind a dam. After a storm you're dodging trees, houses and livestock that come floating downriver.

One reason for bringing up the night-boating issue was that several high-profile accidents here in Central VA in the recent past led our state gummint to legislate mandatory boating safety courses. Not such a bad idea in itself, but knowing these guys if there are any more accidents we can look forward to mandatory helmets and body armor.

One reason for bringing up the night-boating issue was that several high-profile accidents here in Central VA in the recent past led our state gummint to legislate mandatory boating safety courses. Not such a bad idea in itself, but knowing these guys if there are any more accidents we can look forward to mandatory helmets and body armor.

I think helmets should be mandatory anyway :bigthumb: New law here you must be 26 or older to operate water crafts. If under 26 you must pass the boater corse.

Sounds Aweome!!!

The idea of boating after dark may have caused some contention in another thread, so I thought I'd put it out here separately for discussion.

Personally I don't think it can be seen as anything but risky behavior, but that said:
Some of my fondest memories over decades of boating involve skimming in my 'mate over a glass-smooth lake on a cloudless summer night under a full moon so bright it was like boating under a searchlight.

My family & friends had a favorite camping/boating tradition known as the 'Midnight Swim'. After the kids were asleep, the willing adults would boat out into the lake for, yup, a Midnight Swim. No problem on nights with a bright moon; on dark nights we'd creep out barely over idle-speed, anchor under full nav-lights and swim, then idle back towards the lantern we'd left on shore. Lucky, probably, but we never had any problems worse than the occasional missing clothing that disappeared in the dark.

Of course, this was on a lake with no commercial traffic; no late-night barges or ocean liners, just us and the loons (sic).

Any thoughts, comments, experiences (good or bad)? WITHOUT getting personal, please.
Thats great and I would like to do that too but i'm a little nervous about boating in the dark. I've had many chances but always passed. After reading your experience i'm going!! Always wanted to but just haven't yet. slow and easy I guess and I did just buy a 5,000,000 candelpower spotlight for this exact reason. Thanks and be safe always!!

Boating at night is great when done so with smarts. I'm a late night boater most weekends and love it. At least one boat in our group has their anchor light on.
If there is a full moon (or nearly full) and you can make out the outlines of other boats or the shoreline you can cruise faster than on a moonless night, but doing 40ish is stupid. more than a few people have died on lakes near me because of high speed, no lights on, drunken boaters. Some of them have been wives and kids.

I love boating at night. Always take it slow and easy, especially on nights when there is no moon. :bigthumb:

I was on my boat friday night from 7:00 PM til 11:30PM:thumb:. Had a couple of nice 80+ mph blasts:bigthumb: (Jupiter Lighthouse to Bridge Road/Hobe Sound) while we still had daylight and then just cruised the intercoastal waterway back to Jupiter. Docked up at GuanaBanas for dinner and :cheers: and idled back to the boat docks at 11:30pm. You DO have to use xtra precaution and a second set of eyes to watch for the channel markers. Some are not lit up and can scare the $hi+ out of you when caught off guard:eyecrazy:! The AE-21 ran like a champ and I got to use my running lights/gage lights for the first time this season!! My buddy ran his 18' Raptor for the 1st time...the little boat was faassst! While putting his boat back on the trailer one of the bunks came undone:irked:..it was hell getting the boat on the trailer:mad:. We used about 5 tiedown straps to secure the bunk in place and he made it home safely:D!!

i love boating at night, but.....i never run quick, and stay fairly close to home. i was out a couple of weeks ago and the moonlight was amazing!

there have been many accidents on my lake over the years, generally due to stupidity and carelessness, so i am very careful to keep a very good eye out on the water.

one local marina shoots fireworks off on the first weekend of july, must be 1000 boats show up, nothing like watching fireworks over the water:

IMG-20110702-00087.jpg

IMG-20110702-00079.jpg

but....when everyone leaves, they all blast off at once, leaving huge waves all over the place, this year i got smart and sat for 10 minutes while everyone took off - as it turns out that was a great idea, as we had a very dull trip back to the cottage.

I took the boating course for Virginia on my own accord as I'm a noob to boating, and I found it pretty good. It talked quite ab it about boating at night and understanding lights and horn blows and such. I don't remember much but at least I have been exposed to the information and can learn it again.

I took the boating course for Virginia on my own accord as I'm a noob to boating, and I found it pretty good. It talked quite ab it about boating at night and understanding lights and horn blows and such. I don't remember much but at least I have been exposed to the information and can learn it again.

Good for you!

My folks were both instructors for the U.S. Power Squadron and I'm all for boater education.

I see enough d--- fools out on the water that need to be taught something.

Thats great and I would like to do that too but i'm a little nervous about boating in the dark. I've had many chances but always passed. After reading your experience i'm going!! Always wanted to but just haven't yet. slow and easy I guess and I did just buy a 5,000,000 candelpower spotlight for this exact reason. Thanks and be safe always!!

Have fun, be safe and cautious like everyone's suggesting, and careful with that mini-sun you're carrying.
One good shot with that thing can blow your night vision and that of anyone around you.

Back