• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bow weight

Jamey

Hello guys, my Checkmate is stowed away for the winter, so I have to get my water fix in my little fishing rig on the weekends. I'm using a 12' sea king aluminum semi-v with a 1960 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 hp to putt around fishing and bowfishing with my 9 year old son. The engine will push the boat along very well, but I've found if I don't squat toward the center of the boat, the weight of me (about 185 lbs.) and the engine cause the boat to "plow" through the water. If I get myself toward the center of the boat, I can barely reach the tiller, but the boat planes out better and gains 3 - 4 mph. I put the gas tank in the very front, and I've put an anchor that weighs around 20 lbs up there too, but it still doesn't offset the weight in the back of the boat. Any of you have any experience with good ideas for addressing this?

More HP

Hey Bro, I had the same problem with my 10 ft Avon Inflatable. I had a 5 hp Merc and then switched to a 9.9 JohnnyRude and problem solved. More fun now also.:surf:

I started boating with a "sea king" 14 foot boat. (sea king=montgomery ward) The boat had a 6 hp sea king (Chrysler) OB. Ran that thing to death and more. Have you messed with the trim holes on the clamps, trying to find the sweet spot? Is your prop undamaged? 5.5 hp should get it to plane out, unless its loaded with pounds of gear.

Nice Sim. You do realize I hope, despite the name, I am a guy. Maybe 185 is heavy for a damn yankee but I figure it to be just about the right size to whip your ass. Happy new year.

Took your advice Ross and bought a Stingray jr. I hate drilling holes in a vintage motor, but I'm going to give it a try. Will let you know how it works when the weather cooperates enough to get down to the lake and try it out.

Hey jamey read my brother & laws shirt have you ever been their. I have family that has a house on lake martin

halloween_116.jpg

Hey Big Red, the Flora-Bama is a bar everyone ought to experience at least once! I boat on Lake Logan Martin, about an hour and a half away from Lake Martin. We have a little weekend place there. Lake Martin is right next to God's Country ... War Damn Eagle Auburn Alabama! The Stingray Jr. was a success. The lake flooded about 5 feet this weekend, and it carried off a flatbottom jon boat and a pond prowler bass boat my brother and I both failed to tie off on the bank. I used my little rig to track them down and drag them back, and half near killed myself trying to pull the pond prowler away from the drain gates at the dam while they were pulling off water for all they were worth. Anyway, I GPS'd the 12' Vhull with my 1960 Evinrude 5.5 hp fisherman at 12.2 mph. Still about 48 mph away from my Checkmate, but still all in all a fun little ride to fish out of.

Hey Big Red, the Flora-Bama is a bar everyone ought to experience at least once! I boat on Lake Logan Martin, about an hour and a half away from Lake Martin. We have a little weekend place there. Lake Martin is right next to God's Country ... War Damn Eagle Auburn Alabama! The Stingray Jr. was a success. The lake flooded about 5 feet this weekend, and it carried off a flatbottom jon boat and a pond prowler bass boat my brother and I both failed to tie off on the bank. I used my little rig to track them down and drag them back, and half near killed myself trying to pull the pond prowler away from the drain gates at the dam while they were pulling off water for all they were worth. Anyway, I GPS'd the 12' Vhull with my 1960 Evinrude 5.5 hp fisherman at 12.2 mph. Still about 48 mph away from my Checkmate, but still all in all a fun little ride to fish out of.

I went to florabama in 07 because I wanted to see what my Aunt and uncle always talked about. I drank about three beers and decided I should leave before things got out of hand. Its a long way back to NC on foot

roflrofl.gifdeadhorse2.gifroflrofl.gif Thats funny

Hope you find the right way to plain your boat out ( I had a 14ft GW Invader 1968 , I had a 115 Merc on it and had to but a 14 gal fuel cell in the nose and my 220 lbs for a balancing act lol it worked that was in 1987 the boat dry weight was 250 lbs .... if I got in that same boat now I'd sink it with me going between 250 - 350 lbs :) ** you will find what works for your boat just don't give up **

Back