• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

C-Hawk trailer replacement parts, Atwood?

Last trip out of town my electric lockout quit working. Hoping I blew a fuse on the reverse trailer circuit of the truck but been too lazy to check. Can't backup on flat ground so I need to fix before we try to go out this weekend.

Before I left for the rally, I replaced all 4 wheel cylinders, repacked the bearings, replaced the steel line in the frame, and cleaned the actuator on my trailer. All said it was about a 4 hour job. The actuator on my trailer is bolted in with 4 bolts, drops right out through the bottom. I snapped a pic of it with my phone for future reference. I think the key to the banging is a good bleed job and brake adjustment. It takes 2 people to bleed as I found can't be done with a suction pump. I have no clue what wheel cylinders cost because my brother in law, who is a marine mechanic donated them for the cause. I still don't care for the surge system but if set up right works decent. I still like grabbing the brake control with electric brakes if you start to get a little sway.

I was talking with Dave at C Hawk last week and he told me they dont use Atwoods junk but I always had good luck with several Atwood products over the years. I have never cared for the surge brake slop . We will see how my new trailer works out that should be ready in a week or so. Not a C Hawk but I will probably regret it lol.

I was talking with Dave at C Hawk last week and he told me they dont use Atwoods junk but I always had good luck with several Atwood products over the years. I have never cared for the surge brake slop . We will see how my new trailer works out that should be ready in a week or so. Not a C Hawk but I will probably regret it lol.
You getting surge, electric or EOH on this new trailer?

This trailer has surge . I hooked to the salesmans loaded trailer and took it for a spin around town before I would commit to it. I ordered an aluminum trailer with 12" Kodiak stainless disc brakes. 6 lug 5200# axles. I was all ready to order a CHawk but didnt believe it would be ready for our trip to Tenn. in a few weeks and was also going to cost about $1700 more than the Venture. I also tow with a 1/2 ton and the lighter trailer is a plus for me. It is being built with the oversized frame also as I requested in only 10 days ,upgraded aluminum wheels and leds 2016 model for $3800 to easily hold my 283. I am running an aluminum now but it is just about a ft short for my boat at the back end. Thought about keeping mine but just wanted new. The Surge brakes had no lunge feel on this setup.

Funny how they used them for years on trailers, but now their junk.

Not sure why . I was asking about their brake systems. Maybe a quality issue lately. Everyone is forced into making things cheaper nowadays and Atwood stuff has always worked out for me.

Back